Ivory Tower Tech Co - Interesting scam on Lightsabers

Kuddy99
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I saw a face book ad for a lovely intricate multi-part metal light saber (I have since seen the same ad under many different companies) for $34.99. I ordered through Paypal because the have "buyer" protection. What actually arrived was a two piece molded plastic, 1.99 kids toy. 

Contacting the seller returned bounced undeliverable and so I lodged a complaint with the resolution center which came back and said I need to ship the POS they sent back to Hong Kong with a tracking number (that's $15).

Is there no way that PP has automated checks on suppliers where many products are being returned? It seems silly there is no way to prevent this and quite frankly the scammers have won because it's not worth my time for the difference (34.99-15) to mail the fraudulent item back.

When I have had similar issues on Amazon, they are on their customer's side - paypal seems to be with the scammers.

Here is the exact same video used to sell the item (this is from a different seller/scammer): 

(looks like i can 't use certain sites videos. If you know google's short URL, add this to it: S8zSdR

Just in case that doesn't work, there are photos of the vid and a photo of what was delivered below. I'll leave you to guess which two are from the video.....

What say you Paypal people?

ls.png

ls2.jpgls3.png

Login to Me Too
55 REPLIES 55

Xxswat27xx
I dealt with the same surfboard scam purchase mentioned above. I didn't end up paying return shipping, but only after 4 separate calls to customer service. On my last call I asked to speak to their supervisor. I was put on hold for 10 minutes and when the person picked up again they decided it in my favor. I'd highly suggest doing the same thing. They obviously won't budge unless you show them that you're serious.
Login to Me Too

Slicer101

HI! 

I hade a similar "accident" with a Drone that Ive ordered. Should be a awsome 4k drone with GPS and gimbal for a price 120 $ but I recived a crapy drone that I didnt even unpack. But PayPal resolved my dispute in my favor. Ive recieved all my money back without any problem. 

Login to Me Too

dcpsmp

Same thing happened to me and Paypal was of NO help. Shame on Paypal for allowing this oversees Merchants to scam customers numerous times and DO NOTHING about it.... 

Login to Me Too

Wronged
Contributor
Contributor

My case is with the same company, different product (and there are others out here), and different identity initially.  Again, same scenario.  Paid for quality item (with actual photos from brand name site) and received knock off, cheap, no name or brand of any kind.... no tag on item.  The company responded to a personal email maybe not knowing this company with contact info was listed and gave another to paypal for return and reimbursement.  Impossible to return.  Just over $30 requested reimbursement, but would take 84 with tracking to get back.  But without it, paypal won't reimburse, so stating that you are covered from the get go is my biggest issue.  Just go straight to your bank/merchant guys, safest way.. and I will be moving all business from Paypal because it's pointless without an ebay purchase.   Of course assured paypal's security team would still be investigating but no information whatsoever as so how, when, or whether I would even be notified of resolution.   And yes, the variety of cultures world wide involved in Paypal's customer service does alarm me, given the last representative seemed not concerned at all with the advice she was giving me.  There is no where on your dispute to add additional research you've found, but I got an address to send information if anyone cares to know it is available, but I cannot include in this thread I got an error trying to post & paypal told me to take it out.  ha... even more reason to leave. But it is available if you yell at them loud enough so just ask.  For me the additional info found (I had to stop my eyes were sore having to search & translate pages) includes 2 company names (at least), a ton of customer service emails (half of which are not valid), addresses that are different between website/online searches/emails.... not to mention the mass amount of companies listed under the parent, contact info from personal email to paypal return process, and phone numbers that no one answers or in China which we won't call anyway, one on the site being in the US at an apt in Delaware no one answers, another address in Ohio, but the shipment and return address (2) being from China.  The thing that bugs me the most is Paypal's instruction giving the English translated address I am being told to ship back to for my dispute, differs from the Chinese address just above it, that if you google & translate, Paypal has altered the zip code by 12 digits.  I Just wanted to note all this given I found this thread via the company listed on my personal email (Ivory Tower Tech Co) in Shenzhen City, but the company requesting return for my case is Shanghai Miaoheng Technology Co., Ltd.  or SHMH Technology Co., Ltd in Shanghai.   It's no wonder there are onging trade wars.  And companies like this are not actually investigated and shutting down anything.  Just don't bother with any dispute from China out here, really.  Just don't do it.  Go to your merchant, and/or first of all just google the company with every purchase you are contemplating first, if not established in the US.  None of it is worth it.  I've spent 5 times what I want to be reimbursed in the time I could have been working, and hassle providing info, phone calls, trips to the post office, etc.  Not to mention these companies take a month to get your item to you but you are expected to get back to them in a couple weeks or less.  It's impossible & paypal knows I am pretty sure of that now.  Why would you be shocked if I give you fraudulent addresses and contact information if you are editing it before you give to me anyway?  You'd think they would want our business but bottom line, it actually is other countries who benefit from using the service.  Something to think about though.  I'm copying & blasting this all over every dispute forum I can find for at least these 2 companies.  

Login to Me Too

MHeck
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal states tge customer is covered and they have failed us. I suggest a class action law suit.
Login to Me Too

roscoek56
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with wdivorce66.com chinese website & paypal

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.