Ive been ripped off by a chinese website and..

jonnyjayem
Contributor
Contributor

I've been ripped off by a chinese website and have a dispute open, paypal are telling me to return the fake goods to the chinese seller but the seller has listed their address as (and lots of chinese characters :

Return shipping address

China

How do I post to this address?

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Don't bother sending the crap back. The address is likely bogus in any language, case will just drag on forever, which is fine with seller/scammer since the burden is on us, the victims to prove to PP that the seller got the return safely and in satisfactory condition. PP favor sellers heavily becasue that is their business model. Scammer got on to the loophole and thousands (no exaggeration) of people are being scammed.

You can try to get a customer rep to help you. Start a chat ("message us" then get "PayPal Assistant", then to human), then explain your situation. Have to be persistent as the reps are trained to repeat PP's policy and that's it, ask for another rep or a manager if the current one is not able to help.

File complaint on ic3.gov and other channels, contact newspaper and TV station to publicize scam and PP's complicyt

https://ktla.com/about-ktla/contact-us/submit-news-tips-and-story-ideas/

The more people makes this loophole known to the public the sooner PP will act. Also, let's boycott PP, don't use PP even for trusted merchants. The bottom line is what will make PP executives get off their butt and do something.

Login to Me Too

jonnyjayem
Contributor
Contributor

thankyou for your advice and it is exactly what i was thinking, the return address given (in Chinese characters) is bogus and unusable, so the only other option on the PP form is to cancel the dispute!

I have asked to speak to an agent and entered my details for them to respond.

I work in tech and think i can start to make a noise about this, social media, petitions, writing to their leadership. Is there any consumer based action already in motion about this. It feels like PP is part of the scam to me..

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There was/is a lot of noise about a class action lawsuit. In fact there may be multiple actions going on. I'm not sure how to search threads other than going thru the pages manually.

I'd also read someone mentioned PP is actually in the process of modifying (or had recently modified) their policies to better protect buyers (have to see it to believe it), but most likely it won't be retroactive.

Login to Me Too

Ems2714
Contributor
Contributor
I've had the same problem. I phoned PayPal, managed to get past their stupid automated phone system and actually spoke to an agent. She was very helpful, translated the Chinese address for me, and reminded me that once I've posted the item, as long as it is tracked, I can claim a refund for the postage, even if the company don't receive it.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

In my case, I was offered up to $30 to send a couple of masks to Hong Kong, USPS charges at least $35 to send a flat envelop to HK. The few bucks out of pocket notwithstanding, why should the victim have to go thru more hoops to recover their money? And during this pandemic risk life and limb to fall deeper into the scam. PP is obviously unwilling or unable (scammers smarter than PP executives, I can actually buy that) to take serious action. Promising $30 is a slap in the face. The address in my case turned out to be bogus anyway.

Login to Me Too

jonnyjayem
Contributor
Contributor

They’ve just told me they’ve rejected my case, despite telling me it was on hold until they’d translated the Chinese address! How frustrating and makes me feel they are supporting these dodgy businesses. Any advice? Impossible to get hold of them as usual Please tweet and retweet on my thread too <removed>

Login to Me Too

Dutchy1979
Contributor
Contributor

You are not alone i got scammed by homekasba 

Also a fake Chine site that uses  a fake custom service emailaddress found on many fake chinese sites. They now have deleted their custom service email address so that people become less suspicious right away on them being a scam. I send Paypal proof already that they used that emailaddress...

I opened the unauthorised payment dispute, because the site mislead me to buy something but they are a scam so they dont respond to my email.

Paypal closed the dispute saying that its not an unauthorised transaction and its not covered in the Buyer Protection program (I wonder what is? if you notify the same day). After that they did not respoind to any of my messages in the message center in paypal or to their email. Given to the many complains about Paypal here and on the internet they simple cant handle all of our complains and look better into our dispute. just close them and  they stop replying.

Meanwhile the products i orderd is on "Processing" since 23 September. i even requested my money back via Paypal form the seller after my dispute closed. But a scammer will not give your money back

Login to Me Too

jonnyjayem
Contributor
Contributor

we need to take this paypal scam to other platforms

Login to Me Too

jonnyjayem
Contributor
Contributor

lots of consumers are not being supported by Paypal, and we should make this much more public. As PP get their funds from these scam websites they've y calculated it is worth multiple millions to them totake the scam money and run 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.