Item significantly not as described

Heanster
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item for $40, a figurine around 50cm tall (pictured with a young child to indicate size) from a Chinese seller. What I received, six weeks later was a figurine of poor quality just 5cm tall, probably worth no more than $3.

I complained to the seller who offered to refund $10 and I could keep the item! I refused and opened a case with PayPal. The seller then offered a refund of $20 if I returned the item. I refused this and escalated a claim, as it was clear that the seller had deliberately defrauded me and I thought that Paypal would, from the evidence I provided, find in my favour. Not only that, if I return the item it will probably 'go missing' at some point.

However, I have now been offered a full refund if I return the item at my expense - around $20!! Is this PayPal's policy if an item is significantly not as described? And why are they allowing these scamming traders to use their payment facilities?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Heanster
Contributor
Contributor

Update.... I have read other cases and it would appear that PayPal continue to trade with these scammers for some reason and some have been duped out of a lot more than me. Lesson learned...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.