Item not received, seller says did not accept payment

eliew
Contributor
Contributor

I asked to buy a cd by facebook messenger, the seller agreed and I sent the payment. Over the next few days he said that the cd was not available but would be within days, and he would not 'cash' my payment yet.  According to my transactions on Paypal this was just a straightforward payment from me to him, therefore when the item never appeared there did not seem to be an option for me to cancel the order so I asked for a refund.  Several unanswered messages and 3 months later I've had to start a claim, which, as he apparently did not respond, was resolved in my favour. He has just messaged me saying I've taken money from him that he had never accepted from me & therefore I had never paid out in the first place. Surely you cannot 'not claim' a payment, it would have gone straight to his account?? and he needed to refund me? which he did not (and also ignored all messages). I think this is a misunderstanding of how Paypal operates and It's not about the money - I'm wanting to know who is right, for future reference as I use Paypal almost every day. Surely Paypal would not have refunded me the money from his account if the payment had not gone into his account? please help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eliew 

If you never paid then how were you able to file a claim to begin with and get refunded then, ask seller that. IF the seller did not accept payment, then the payment status on your end would say "Unclaimed" and may have been able to cancel the payment in some instances but it wasn't and was in the "Completed" activity category of your account, correct? The seller indeed lacks knowledge of how PayPal works. Tell him to please kindly take it up with PayPal by contacting customer service if he needs further assistance in understanding how PayPal works. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eliew 

If you never paid then how were you able to file a claim to begin with and get refunded then, ask seller that. IF the seller did not accept payment, then the payment status on your end would say "Unclaimed" and may have been able to cancel the payment in some instances but it wasn't and was in the "Completed" activity category of your account, correct? The seller indeed lacks knowledge of how PayPal works. Tell him to please kindly take it up with PayPal by contacting customer service if he needs further assistance in understanding how PayPal works. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

eliew
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you x

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.