Item not as described

Josertep
Contributor
Contributor
I bought an item from a store from Facebook. When I received it it was completely different than what I ordered. The seller turns out to be from China and now for me to receive a refund I have to send it back to them at my expense. In doing this I’d loose my money since it would cost almost what I paid. What can i do.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

File dispute, make sure you select proper category "substantially not as described", take photos of the item you received, along with packaging showing tracking number. be prepared to upload when PP asks for them. Don't send anything back to China, the address is likely bogus. Keep arguing your case with customer service that it is unfair for buyer to pay for sellers mistake.

Stop using PP for all future transactkons, PP knowingly let scammers take advantage of their platform. Numerous class actions about to begin (based on many posts here).

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22
Solved

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

File dispute, make sure you select proper category "substantially not as described", take photos of the item you received, along with packaging showing tracking number. be prepared to upload when PP asks for them. Don't send anything back to China, the address is likely bogus. Keep arguing your case with customer service that it is unfair for buyer to pay for sellers mistake.

Stop using PP for all future transactkons, PP knowingly let scammers take advantage of their platform. Numerous class actions about to begin (based on many posts here).

Login to Me Too

abdulahad100
Contributor
Contributor

It happened to me as well. I have filed a dispute. But the return address provided to me was in Chinese. 

I asked for a translation and after a month and contacting PP customer service twice, I was again provided the same address in chinese. 

It's been approx two months since I filed the dispute. It is so frustrating. 

Login to Me Too

LinelleGibson
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly my experience. I’m somewhat disillusioned by this.
Login to Me Too

abdulahad100
Contributor
Contributor

An update to my case: My claim was denied today because I did not provide the tracking for the returned package even though I had contacted PP support twice that the address was in Chinese and was told that they have contacted the seller to provide the address in English. I was told that I don't need to do anything and today the claim was denied.

How pathetic is paypal. I have a full message trail, contacted PP support on 25 July, 24 August, 1 September and 6 September. There is a clar disconnect between different teams. The claims team is not updated by the support team on the latest conversation between the customer and the support agent. And the support agents don't update the status of the claim either. 

Is there any way to get in touch with someone in Paypal to escalate this? 

Login to Me Too

AlexKirk
Contributor
Contributor
The consistency does seem to be a problem, but keep calling to talk to an advisor until you get a refund. It's taken me 4 calls to them but I've now received my full refund without having to post the item back. I hope this helps if you've not had money back yet, remember that someone got your money and didn't provide what they'd promised you, don't give up!
Login to Me Too

Lnza4
Contributor
Contributor
I can’t get thru to pp!! This is frustrating... any suggestions.. I contacted my cc company to dispute I’m waiting .. shame on pp to allow these fraudulent practices .. buyer beware
Login to Me Too

LinelleGibson
Contributor
Contributor
Don’t ever use PP for any Chinese purchases. Too many frauds. I’ve seen dozens of these complaints on here.
Login to Me Too

Lnza4
Contributor
Contributor
I agree! I wasn’t aware of where it was coming from until after the transaction! No eg again will I buy from fb & pp.. buyer beware
Login to Me Too

originalladyleo
Contributor
Contributor

I have an open dispute right now with PayPal and a Chinese merchant right now. I filed the dispute in July. I want around in circles with this bogus vendor about this stuff they sent me that was nothing like what I ordered. I tried my hardest to get the merchant to email me a pre-paid return label so I ship the stuff back to them in China, but they must have done this scam before because they weren't budging on this at all. They were trying to convince me to keep it (like, no - if I wanted that I would have ordered it in the first place) saying it would cost more for me to ship it back to them (they were right about that part for sure). So I had no choice to file a dispute which is open right now. PayPal said I had to mail the stuff back. I actually am out of some of my own money sending it back to China, but I decided to go through with it out of principle and to learn my lesson. But I did ask PayPal about who was going to pay me for the return shipping part. It was not until I messaged PayPal that I was even informed that PayPal had a shipping credit thing that buyers have to sign up for separately. But there's a $30 maximum limit per transaction. Why wouldn't this information be more well know? I still haven't gotten my refund for the actual purchase transaction. Every time review the case details, the resolution date has been changed to another date in the future. Why?! When I mailed the products back to the merchant to the address provided to me by PayPal, I uploaded pictures that included tracking #'s etc. At this point, I've fulfilled every end you've asked of me. Give me my money!

In summary, yes, I hope there is a class action lawsuit filed and I will happily add my name to it. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.