Item not as described

Josertep
Contributor
Contributor
I bought an item from a store from Facebook. When I received it it was completely different than what I ordered. The seller turns out to be from China and now for me to receive a refund I have to send it back to them at my expense. In doing this I’d loose my money since it would cost almost what I paid. What can i do.
Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I was offered the $30 maximum reimbursement as well, but I still would be out of some out of pocket money to return 2 masks (I'd ordered an RC helicopter) to an address in Hong Kong, which when I googled it turned out to be bogus. So the scammers are counting on the case never getting resolved, and PP just standing by.

So, does PP actually reimburse the $30 once you showed that you send it? Without proving it got delivered?

Login to Me Too

ericalotta
Contributor
Contributor

I would also like to know how this is supposed to work. So far, it doesn't seem like we are protected at all from fraud occurring through paypal. I know I will be thinking twice about using paypal for future transactions. Paypal didn't even ask for my supporting documents, they just sided with the seller. "Send it back (paying more than the item is worth) and they will refund in full" sounds like I'm not the only one this has happened to. So disappointing.

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There are inconsistent reports on what happens when victims send worthless items back.

First question is: will PP reimburse (assuming victim pre-activate "return program") right away, once prove of shipment is uploaded?

Second question is: will PP refund original purchase, even without prove of delivery (address given may be bogus and undeliverable)?

Some have reported success in getting full refund (yes for both questions), some have reported only getting the $30 return shipping (yes for first, no for second question). And some reported no for both questions (likely not pre-activate return shipping program).

So unless we have assurance on how PP consistently treats these cases, I don't recommend anybody sending crap back.

Login to Me Too

burkehinman
Contributor
Contributor

pay pal now sucks moving to venmo.

Login to Me Too

Lnza4
Contributor
Contributor
I can’t even get thru to pp to file dispute ! I will no longer user pp for any transactions foreign or domestic !! Buyer beware
Login to Me Too

originalladyleo
Contributor
Contributor
You have to sign up for the return shipping credit thing separately via PayPal. As long as you provide them with all the photos, receipts etc. they ask for within the time limits they are requesting then they will give you the money up to $30. I received that money fairly quickly in my PayPal account.
Login to Me Too

Lnza4
Contributor
Contributor
I ordered from Facebook advertisement a large outdoor nativity set ! What I received from China was 5 oz package! I refused un opened package .. can’t get thru to pp to dispute false advertisement!! Shame on me .. if I had known it was coming from China I would not of made the purchase .. how do I get thru to pp customer service??
Login to Me Too

Lnza4
Contributor
Contributor
Shame on PP & Facebook to allow these bogus fraudulent companies from China to deceive us AMERICANS. If I had known it was coming from China I would of NEVER purchased item. I can’t get any satisfaction from PP customer service !!! What say you !! BUYER BEWARE
Login to Me Too

LinelleGibson
Contributor
Contributor
In the end I accepted and got paid 75% of the original price and did not return the product which was probably worth about $2. What irritates me is that PP must have a long list of fake traders that they should instantly debar once this happens but they don’t. Secondly they should not expect buyers to pay for return mail and thirdly PP needs to have an easier way for buyers to contact them directly.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@LinelleGibson 

Well, 75% is better than nothing and you'd cut your losses. But in rpinciple the scammers still "won" in that they'd sold you a piece of junk at tremendous profit, and it was a forced sale. PP was supposed (in most buyers mind) to provide protection against these scams but obviously they don't.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.