Item not as described.

1066paulk
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely furious. Purchased and iLife v5s robotic vac via a Facebook ad. Thought I'd be protected paying for it via PayPal. What arrived in the post was nothing like the ad. Only common feature...they are both round. Honestly, this item bares zero resemblance to what was ordered. Opened a case, that's now found in my favour but I have to post the item I didn't order back to CHINA. At exchange rates I paid 36GBP. Est return postage (apparently they only accept UPS or DHL) 56GBP. How can they get away with this? It's not protecting me, it's making returning the item uneconomical and not worth doing. What a great way to separate ppl from their hard earned money and for PAYPAL to side step any responsibility. I should not be financially worse off sending an item back that I didn't order to get a refund for an item I didn't order. What makes it even more annoying. This item was sent to me via a UK distributor via a UK budget courier (HERMES). As far as I'm concerned this is fraud and PayPal aren't doing anything about it. Anyone else had similar? I cant face reading through coyntless historic posts so apologies if this duplicates. It's my first post. I've emailed PayPal but I imagine all I'll get is a copy and paste response. Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@1066paulk

Your best bet is to read up on paypal buyer protection before you start buying so you know what is and what is not offered.

Buyer protection is not a 100% coverall and you need to read up on it so YOU can risk assess your transactions.

In the event of a dispute you nearly always have to return the item back to the seller so you bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction (if available in your country) .....
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

1066paulk
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass Sorry. Still getting used to how this works. So it seems PayPal have found in my favour. I've had a full refund and have not had to send the item back. So I'm happy it's gone my way. If anyone else reads this. I believe but cannot confirm that the Dropbox file I created with the screen shots of the original ad with details photos of what actually arrived was a massive help. I would have accepted returns postage if what I ordered arrived and I didn't like it. But the only thing both items had in common...were there shape - they were both circular and that was literally it. So if this happens to anyone else, include as much info as you can. I shall very much consider all my options in future. But thanks for your help @kernowlass (I still don't know if I'm tagging you correctly) Regards. 1066paulk
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.