Item not as described, claim for refund denied by Paypal despite full evidence sent

Sallye8998
New Community Member

Ordered an Ice Making Making machine from a companies advert on Facebook. Weeks later I received a cheap watch from China with a declared value of US$5. I sent photographs of the small envelope  and the watch it contained and customs slip ( clearly an ice making machine would not fit in the envelope!) together with a copy of the purchase invoice showing item ordered was an ice maker and the cost. Seller made an offer of US$15, therefore clearly admitting liability for the false transaction and wrong item sent, I declined as that was less than half the amount I had paid. Paypal requested a police or other authority report and I send back a screenshot and details of the ACCC scamwatch report I had lodged ( police would not file a report as an overseas company) I believe I met all the request from Paypal for evidence and reporting the scam to a governing body.  So...why has it been denied and the case closed and I am left US$34.99 out of pocket, what is the point of seller protection when it's worthless?  

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sallye8998 

I do not know if your AU province has something like this so you can report fraud:

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/fraud

The ACCC is potent not enough. You need to report to some kind of online fraud dept branch of law enforcement in your province.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sallye8998 

I do not know if your AU province has something like this so you can report fraud (not scam):

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/fraud

The ACCC is potent or official not enough. You need to report to some kind of online fraud dept branch of law enforcement in your province. Once you get that you can appeal.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Sallye8998
New Community Member

so, If I now report it via the police website I can appeal and open up the case again??

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.