Item not as described and seller not responding

LucyD3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I purchased a mobile phone, I received it but it is faulty and I want to return it for a refund. I tried contacting the seller through EBay, no response. I then opened a dispute and sent another message and waited a day, no response so escalated it to a claim. PayPal says it will give the seller 10 days to respond. What happens if the seller does not respond then, does PayPal then decide in my favour and I post the item back to the address that the seller has on PayPal and provide proof of posting, does PayPal then refund me? Thanks, Lucy

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LucyD3 

Pity you didn't open an Ebay dispute first as if you won the seller would have to pay the return postage costs.

However if the seller does not respond at all then you 'may' not have to return it first and if they refuse to refund and you have won the dispute then paypal will refund you under their buyer protection policy.

If paypal do tell you to return the item then you would have to send trackable (proof of delivery and not just proof of postage) at your own expense BUT can claim it back again if you have activated the below link on your paypal account.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LucyD3 

Pity you didn't open an Ebay dispute first as if you won the seller would have to pay the return postage costs.

However if the seller does not respond at all then you 'may' not have to return it first and if they refuse to refund and you have won the dispute then paypal will refund you under their buyer protection policy.

If paypal do tell you to return the item then you would have to send trackable (proof of delivery and not just proof of postage) at your own expense BUT can claim it back again if you have activated the below link on your paypal account.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LucyD3
Contributor
Contributor
I prefer to go through PayPal for refunds as they refund me including the initial shipping costs that seller charged me and I get my return shipping costs reimbursed. I did end up calling Paypal and they advised me that if the seller does not respond that after the 10 days the dispute is closed in my favour and I get a refund and keep the item and the second email that they sent the seller must have stated just that as he finally responded so the phone is now in the mail, and I took lots of photos etc to show it was posted and was posted via express post with signature on delivery and I have put in for a refund of the delivery costs. Thanks for your help
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LucyD3 

If Ebay found in your favour then the seller would have to issue a prepaid label for you to return the item.

So they pay shipping costs.

Secondly paypal only pay up to a certain amount for shipping costs and you are limited to x8 returns in one year.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LucyD3
Contributor
Contributor
But I am sure the time years ago that I used Ebay for a refund I did not get my initial postage costs back only what I paid for the item. Does Ebay now give a full refund including your initial shipping costs? I realise you are limited to 8 refunds a year using PayPal but I have never had to return more than 8 items, I am usually able to sort things with the seller so that I do not have to return things, but in this case as it was such an expensive purchase I would not have been happy with any outcome other than a refund.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LucyD3 

There are several options when you click to 'return item' there are a list of 5 options BUT when you click 'more' its extends the options to 11 and the lower 6 ones are to report the item as misdescribed / damaged etc.

So if you select one of the lower 6 then if Ebay finds in your favour then the seller has to supply a prepaid label for you to send the item back again.

You can do that up to 30 days, after that you have to open a Paypal dispute as you would no longer be Ebay covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.