Item drop shipped from Perthamboy, NJ, seller demands return shipment to Guangdong, China

nyckidryan
New Community Member

Hello fellow frustrated PayPal users... Here's one I just can't figure out and PayPal doesn't feel like they have any responsibility.

I purchased a 3D printer ($650) from a well known and (usually) reliable company, Creality 3D. What I received looked like it had been used and returned. I didn't even assemble the unit, from just taking the main parts out of the box it was clear it was NOT what I purchased.

The order was drop shipped from what appears to be a fulfillment office - the label read:

• Express
    (***) ***-****
    SHIPPER ONLY,NOT SELLER
    **** **** STREET
    PERTHAMBOY, NJ 08861

I reached out to their support department immediately to start an exchange. At first they blamed the scratches and loose screws on not being assembled properly, but when I pointed out that I still hadn't even taken the machine fully out of the box yet, they offered a $100 refund. I refused, as I simply wanted a new machine, not one that I would have to fix for them. 3D printers are very finicky machines, and trying to restore one that has been damaged is almost always wasted effort. We went around for a while with them literally begging me on Facebook messenger to keep the printer, they'd refund $100, they'd send me a free roll of filament, just PLEASE keep the printer... (Well, they'd do anything *except* refund more than $100...)  I repeatedly declined, and they finally agreed to refund my money.

They sent a return shipping address entirely written in Mandarin, which I can't read, nor can my local UPS, FedEx or USPS offices. (Literally shown in their response to PayPal as "518051GUANGDONG****************168***************China", the *s being Chinese characters that the message board apparently prohibits...) I sent back repeated requests for an English language address to ship to. They finally replied and gave me an office in Shenzen, Guangdong, China.

The rates for a 25x21x13 box are as follows:

• Priority Mail Express International: $310.85
  • FedEx International: $865.73
  • UPS: $948.55

Clearly there is ZERO chance I will pay ANY of that to return their defective merchandise, but PayPal has closed the dispute because I did not provide a tracking number in time. I've been on the phone for more than 2 hours today before being hung up on when I asked for a supervisor. The seller intentionally did this so I would not be able to return the printer and they could keep my money.

Who do I call for this issue? Is it time to involve the Florida Department of Consumer Services? Florida Attorney General? Local TV news? I can't afford an attorney, and I don't have any in the family.

Advice appreciated...

-DJ

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nyckidryan 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dsogjc
New Community Member
Did Creality ever do the right thing? I'm going through the EXACT same thing with them. Creality customer service is the WORST. My printer box had been skewered with a forklift before it was sent out to me. The aluminum frame inside the box was mangled and bent. I bought it through TomTop, but it was drop shipped from Creality. TomTop says it's Creality's fault (which it is). Creality says contact the retailer (just to be difficult) so around and around we go. It's just a big circle of denial and has gotten me nowhere for 6 weeks now. I got a shipping quote for $501 to China. Lol. Ridiculous! I should just ship this pile of junk back to NJ. PayPal couldn't care less though. I guess I'll be forced to contact my bank next. Good luck.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.