Item completely different to what was ordered

VanessaZ
New Community Member

Hi - I would appreciate some input here. I ordered an item and was sent a completely different, damaged item.

The seller first offered a 50% refund which I declined and now says he will refund the full amount if I return the item at my cost.

Paypal has said they will pay the shipping cost, but because the item arrived to me already damaged I am concerned that they seller will use this as an excuse not to refund me. I have taken photos but apparently that is not enough. I was first asked to find a manufacturer of similar products and get a Damage Document filled out, which is just ridiculous. Paypal then agreed to let me sign a Statutory Declaration about the damages. I now have to find a JP, get this signed off, go to the Post Shop, buy a bag, pay for the postage, ensure I get tracking and upload all of this to Paypal. This has created a ridiculous amount of running around and inconvenience for me which is difficult as I work long hours. Even though Paypal will cover the postage costs, this whole situation is unfair. My argument is this - I have paid for an item I did not receive. The seller should immediately be made to refund the full amount. Creating work and inconvenience for me is just not acceptable. Paypal used to be all about protecting the buyer and this is why I buy everything through Paypal - or should I say that I have until now. I would love to hear some advise or words of wisdom.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Saraton59
New Community Member

Same thing happened to me, because the seller supplied a tracking number PayPal told me that they wouldn't do anything. I had ordered Intelligent swimming pool cleaner and got a small Cosmetic Mirror. PayPal couldn't care less 👎

Login to Me Too

JSfightfraud
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Vanessa, 

I had a very similar thing happen except that the item was incredibly shoddy - nothing like what was advertised. 

I sent it back but it was returned TWICE.

I took photos etc etc  - seemed to go on forever.

The second time I had to wear the postage. 

I finally refused to send it back again and pointed out that all the seller had to do was to keep sending the parcel back.

My lovely Post Office person looked the address up for me and it was a legitimate company that the seller had appropriated as a return address.

These points for some reason suddenly had traction and I was advised to either keep the item (it was a quilt)  or donate it.

I donated it to a dog kennel.

I felt so aggrieved at the blatant dishonesty of the seller.

I just kept persevering in my attempt to contact a 'real' person.

Finally I succeeded in getting MEWE Galleries - struck off or whatever it is happens to people who do the wrong thing over and over again.

All the very best.

Login to Me Too

sashaandsweetie
Contributor
Contributor
I have just had a similar problem with PayPal credit. In my case however, the seller immediately accepted the watch as a return. I returned it and provided PayPal credit the proof of receipt from the post office. PayPal credit refuse to accept my claim, eBay claim that it’s up to PayPal and the seller now refused to answer my messages. I posted a negative feedback on eBay but this wasn’t posted for some reason. He is still online probably reselling the dodgy watch to some other unsuspecting customer, aided and abetted by PayPal credit, it would seem.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VanessaZ 

Trouble is that if it was as easy as that then all buyers would just say an item was faulty and not have to provide any proof or return of the item and get the item and a refund.

Paypal has to be the middleman between buyer and seller and provides 'some' protection for each.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JSfightfraud
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, point taken people can't just change their minds or make up stories.

The Paypal protocols  for documentation prescribe exactly what you need to do in terms of keeping receipts and images .

Their instructions are detailed and precise.

The rules however apply to both sides of the transaction.

I have had (rarely) things broken in transit and there were no issues whatsoever.

Most people I believe are good and honest.

When you come across a palpably dishonest transaction it is important to see it through to its conclusion so that companies like MEWE Galleries do not dupe others.

'Seeing it through' for some reason takes a lot of persistence and (in my case) duplication of documentation to prevail. 

Many people must just give up.

It should not be that difficult when the seller is clearly and demonstrably  in the wrong.

All the best

Login to Me Too

sashaandsweetie
Contributor
Contributor
I sent proof of receipt when I returned the watch and a screenshot of the message from the eBay seller that he accepted my complaint and confirmed the address for return. (Same address as listed on the return address on the package sent to me and as listed on eBay as a business seller) PayPal credit have still refused my claim.
Login to Me Too

JSfightfraud
Contributor
Contributor

All I can advise is to be persistent - keep emailing ! 

I didn't think I was ever going to get anywhere but one day a human actually looked at my messages  and it was suddenly resolved. 

Login to Me Too

sashaandsweetie
Contributor
Contributor
It seems as if EBay and PayPal are playing good cop/bad cop. Customer service from eBay reviewed all my evidence and stated that they couldn’t understand why PayPal has refused my claim. They went onto write (unlike PayPal they sent me a transcript of our conversation on request unlike PayPal) that ‘if only they could refund me, they would’. EBay’s suggestion was to ask the seller to refund me directly to my PayPal account so I could then pay off PayPal credit. So effectively they want me to do Paypal’s work in getting the seller to make sure they get their money back. The seller is likely to refuse because why would he do this when he can keep the watch and money with eBay and paypal’s consent and Authority’? The seller wrote that ‘he will try EBay again to process my refund but ‘it’s all in ebay’s hands’. All documented. Fraud in action. Paypal is 6 months interest free credit. They have stated that I should contact the financial Ombudsman if I am unhappy with their decision. From experience as a lawyer ... this will take as long and the Ombudsman quality of result can depend on their workload (with no appeal). These big American companies are not held to account. I won’t be buying from EBay or PayPal again and will be advising everyone I know to avoid these companies like the plague they seem to be aspiring to be.
Login to Me Too

JSfightfraud
Contributor
Contributor

Keep persevering - it is your right and you ARE right. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.