Item Shipped Long After Refund

the_flashback
Contributor
Contributor

Over a month ago, I purchased an item online. The seller was to send the item within a week of purchase. 8 days later, I asked for an update via email with no response. I sent a three more over the next week, still with no response. I opened a dispute with PayPal to get a refund, which went very smoothly. PalPay attempted to contact the buyer with no response after 11 days and the dispute was decided in my favor. 

A few days ago, I received an automated email saying that the item has shipped, along with a tracking number. Since the dispute was resolved in my favor, I had since bought a replacement item from another supplier. According to PayPal, if I receive the item, I need to pay the seller, despite it being over a month late with no attempts at communication. The seller still hasn't responded to any of my messages and PayPal's responses have been very confusing about what I should do in this situation. I don't want the item and multiple good faith attempts have been made at cancelling the order. The seller is either ignoring them or no one is monitoring their email. This entire thing reads SCAM to me.

Any advice on here? Is someone who is very familiar with PayPal disputes know how I should handle this?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Cristina

I understand that, @the_flashback.

Regarding the shipping cost, you may be eligible under our 'Return Shipping Program'. Please, find more information here.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@the_flashback 

What do you mean 'paypal say if i receive the item i have to pay for it'...........where did they say that.

Once you have a refund given you that is normally the end of the matter, either refuse the item when delivered OR if delivered contact the seller and tell them that as long as they provide return shipping costs you will send the item back to them again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

the_flashback
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Thank you for responding!

I contacted PayPal about this immediately after I received the shipping notification. I told them pretty much exactly what you suggested, that I would try to refuse the delivery (which is almost impossible at they are accepted at my building's front desk) or I would be happy to ship it back to the seller if they are willing to pay for it. The problem is that the seller still isn't responding to any emails or messages (tried on both Facebook and email). 

Anyway, I received back this message from PayPal:

"It is against the PayPal User Agreement to keep both the refund and merchandise, so we are asking that you return the refund you received from your seller. You can do this by sending a payment to the seller using the Send Money feature in your PayPal account."

I absolutely have no issue with returning the product, as I didn't pay for it. But I am unwilling to pay for return shipping myself, as it should be the responsibility of the seller at this point.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Cristina

I understand that, @the_flashback.

Regarding the shipping cost, you may be eligible under our 'Return Shipping Program'. Please, find more information here.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

the_flashback
Contributor
Contributor

The item was delivered into my mailbox today, so no opportunity to refuse it. 

I've contacted the seller with a request of how they would like me to move forward. I've also contacted PayPal to figure out if I qualify for that program/ However, given the complete lack of communication with the seller thus far, I am reluctant to take any further steps until they get in contact with me.

Thank you for your response,

Jonathan

Login to Me Too

nxChantz
New Community Member

@the_flashback I see the solution presented by pay pal, but I am wonder what ended up happening. I am currently in the same situation.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220104d
Contributor
Contributor

There seems to be a number of Chinese sellers that use PayPal as a platform to make money.  The scheme is as follows:

1. advertise a product for for a certain amount of money
  2. send a different product than what they advertised
  3. when you try to file a dispute, PayPal has you try to resolve the issue with the seller
  4. the seller offers a lesser refund (they don't even attempt to fix the problem)
  5. you refuse the lesser refund and file the complaint through PayPal
  6. PayPal demands you send the wrong product back to the seller with tracking and here is where it goes sideways.
  7. You take the package to the post office and find out it costs many times more than what you initially paid to ship the product pack to China (for example, spend $30 but cost for return shipping with tracking is $70)
  8. You activate the return shipping refund program and they tell you:

Now that you’ve joined the Return Shipping on Us program, you can submit up to 12 requests per year. We’ll reimburse you for up to $30 per request on your return shipping costs. (Notice the limited refund amount so you are potentially worse off)

9. PayPal gives no guarantee you will be reimbursed for the shipping and so you refuse to send back the wrong product

10. You don't provide proof of shipping and so PayPal closes the dispute. You are stuck with a product that is worth pennies and the seller profits off you.

11. Win for the seller as they rip you off and have PayPal provide the platform to protect their scam.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.