Item Must Be Returned to Process Refund - Item Purchased is an Electronic Download

esquare12
Contributor
Contributor

Seller has offered a refund with the condition I return the purchased item. PayPal requires proof from the seller that the shipment has been received. Since I purchased an electronic download there is no way for me to physically "return" the merchandise and I strongly suspect this is a tactic from he seller to continue to decline the refund. Any ideas on how I can proceed? Seems the seller is using PayPal's process to cheat the system and decline a refund.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@esquare12 

Sadly if its not a physical item then you would not win an item received but not as described dispute as you can't return that and provide a tracking number.

For virtual / digital items you are only really covered for non receipt of item.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

esquare12
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Thanks for the feedback. The escalation option states Paypal would review the communications between the seller and I, as well as the attachments included in the initial claim. If this were the case they would have realized the unwillingness from the seller to resolve the issue. Any idea what would happen if I initiate a chargeback through my CC company? I've tried calling Paypal but the reps keep putting me on hold and dropping the calls (3 times now).

For reference, I would have been ok with the seller providing the correct item even if I had to pay a cost difference. Instead they continued to provide incorrect information and now are using Paypal's system limitations to their advantage.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @esquare12,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation with instructions to return a digital item. If the dispute is instructing you to return the item, it means that the transaction was initially made as a Goods transaction with a shipping address, and it appears to PayPal that the item is a physical one. Only physical items require return.

Please reach out to customer service to explain that the item is virtual. A representative can help with the next steps. I'm sorry to hear that the calls were disconnected. If three separate calls were disconnected, please check your phone's connectivity to make sure the issue is not from your side of the call.

To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter.

I hope this can be resolved quickly!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.