Is this a scam?

celineben

Someone in the US is sending me money. Is it true that I have to pay a fee before the money goes through into my paypal? 50$ fee for 1000$ transaction. They emailed me and asked me to purchase a 50$ gift card through "card delivery.com" and send them the card after i've purchased it & the 1000$ will immediately go into my account. Is this a scam?

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

Nada2021
Contributor
Contributor
I think someone is also trying to scam me from Gumtree what did he exactly say to you? Did he ask to buy a gift card to help with delivery fee , I told him no . What's worse is I gave home my address because he was going to get a delivery company to come pick up the goods.
Login to Me Too

andygriffiths6
Contributor
Contributor
That’s exactly what happened to me last night, but I refused to buy vouchers until money had cleared into my account. Not heard from them since
Login to Me Too

Mrdickenson123
New Community Member
Someone sent this to me but it was over Snapchat. I’m not sure if it’s a scam or not.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ayesha

Hi @Mrdickerson and @Nada2021,

I'm sorry to hear that you are encountering scams over Gumtree and Snapchat. Some of the earlier posts in this thread advise regarding scams that happen online. You can also check here for more information about scams.

I hope this helps.
Ayesha

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Jenny208
If I already sent the gift card can they accesss my bank account info? And is there a way I can get a refund since it’s a scam or no?
Login to Me Too

Dearcourtxo_
Yes!!! Someone sent me a message asking me to be his sugar daddy… I ignored it then he kept sending me messaging saying I have to get razor gold with $100 and he’ll transfer $5000 to me. He screenshot a what’s app pic of him paying a girl. So I jokingly sent him my PayPal & said I won’t give you attention until you pay me first. He screenshot he sent 5k to me but he couldn’t send it to me unless I “lend” him $100 because he can’t send below 5k. **bleep**ing rubbish lol
Login to Me Too

Mariab98
Contributor
Contributor
Did you get your money? Or is it fake? It also happens to my best friend now. She send already buy 3 times $100 and 2 times steam card for $200. She has to stop right? This is a scamm. He also sends screenshot of the payment. 70% 86% 99% you need to buy one last time a steam card and you get your money. Please react fast!!!! Thank you.
Login to Me Too

Mariab98
Contributor
Contributor
Did you get your money? Or is it fake? It also happens to my best friend now. She send already buy 3 times $100 and 2 times steam card for $200. She has to stop right? This is a scamm. He also sends screenshot of the payment. 70% 86% 99% you need to buy one last time a steam card and you get your money. Please react fast!!!! Thank you.
Login to Me Too

yv0nne

Omg, it s happening now. I think it s the same guy, sugar daddy "steve <removed>" he s telling me he sent me 3000$ but I have to pay an invoice of 100$ to Kelvin <removed> construction company AND buy two 50$ razer gold cards. He kept sending me edited screenshots with 80%-99% of the payment "from PayPal", they looked like they were done with PicsArt XD

Login to Me Too

Elle37
Hey was it a scam there's someone on Instagram doing the same to me rn, his name is Kelvin?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.