Is this Fraud?

Johnny_N2018
New Community Member

I called PayPal today but something felt off.

I called in today to report a monthly charge to my PayPal account from Itunes and to see which app was making these transactions. The person on the phone said that my ip address has been hacked and that a person in New York was using my account. He told me that I needed to verify myself by going to a PayPal store so they can install an ip address protection to my ip address. I don't have a PayPal store near me so he told me to go to Walgreens to get a Paypal security card and transfer $200 to it then to call him back. I don't know if this is true or fake. All I can think about is someone is using my card to make payments. Please help.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Johnny_N2018 wrote:

I called PayPal today but something felt off.

I called in today to report a monthly charge to my PayPal account from Itunes and to see which app was making these transactions. The person on the phone said that my ip address has been hacked and that a person in New York was using my account. He told me that I needed to verify myself by going to a PayPal store so they can install an ip address protection to my ip address. I don't have a PayPal store near me so he told me to go to Walgreens to get a Paypal security card and transfer $200 to it then to call him back. I don't know if this is true or fake. All I can think about is someone is using my card to make payments. Please help.

First of all, there is not such thing as a PayPal store, unless they're talking about a iTunes Store and why in the word would they tell you to buy a "PayPal security card" and transfer that much money and to call him back? What kind of PayPal customer service number did you call? (Rhetorically speaking.) That the "rep" don't sound correct at all. Sounded like a scammer to me. 

Contact PayPal customer service:

Call customer service: Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, scroll down to click CALL US.

@AskPayPal for Twitter or facebook.com/paypal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.