Is there a way to dispute a PayPal resolution, i.e. escalate within PayPal??

drh2000
Contributor
Contributor

A merchant using a PayPal store that claimed to be in California advertised a product which I ordered.  Six weeks later, I received a package from China containing two wristwatches that I did NOT order.   The PayPal resolution for the dispute is to order me to do what the merchant says, which is to return the merchandise to China at my own expense, and then wait for the merchant to reimburse me.   The original situation is not PayPal's fault, but they are entirely supporting the seller in what appears to be a deliberate fraud (there are numerous fraud warnings on the Internet concerning these Chinese watches, which I did not see because I didn't order a watch in the first place).  Does anyone know any way to escalate this matter within PayPal, or is it a lost cause which will force me to close my PayPal account and contact the Attorney General?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@drh2000 

Paypal would not be able to check every seller / merchant in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.
So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The BEST thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them.......

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.
Don't forget paypals 'customers' are both buyers and sellers so they give 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection and the rest is up to all of us to risk assess our own transactions and sellers.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.