Is it possible to get a refund from item purchased on Depop for Smokey smell?

WeebPrincess
New Community Member
I recently purchased cosmetic items from a seller and they REEKED of cigarette smoke. I have tried to let them air out and the smell hasn’t subsided since I purchased about a week ago. The seller was ignoring my message about a possible refund but replied only to tell me she doesn’t do refunds and that she doesn’t smoke so she doesn’t know why my items arrived smelly. Here’s the thing though: I found 1 instance of her smoking on a social she linked herself on her page. Is it possible to get a refund this way? The items smell so bad I can’t bring myself to use them. I don’t know if “smells” are grounds for a refund. She says they were kept clean and in a storage container but clearly they were around cigarette smoke.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WeebPrincess 

You claim has to meet the conditions for SNADs:

Significantly Not as Described claims

An item may be considered Significantly Not as Described if:

• The item is materially different from the seller’s description of it.
  • You received a completely different item.
  • The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the item was described as “new” but the item was used.
  • The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic (i.e. counterfeit).
  • The item is missing major parts or features and those facts were not disclosed in the description of the item when you bought it.
  • You purchased a certain number of items but didn’t receive them all.
  • The item was damaged during shipment.
  • The item is unusable in its received state and was not disclosed as such.

An item may not be considered Significantly Not as Described if:

• The defect in the item was correctly described by the seller in its description of the item.
  • The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
  • The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.
  • The item has minor scratches and was described as “used."

To dispute:

1. Locate and click payment transaction in your PayPal account activity
  2. Click "Report a problem" 
  3. Click “I received an item that's significantly not as described”.

Should you escalate, and win, you must return items for a refund. Return shipping is not provided in the dispute as per purchase protection terms, however PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If PayPal denies claim, try your credit card to see if you can dispute through them if that is how you paid.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.