Is it normal for PayPall to block account for income of $0.56 and demanding copy of my ID to fix it?

Ebachan150
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

a few weeks ago, my personal PayPal account had been blocked for receiving $0.56 from Smashwords (I have there my ebook), and it was called "some suspicious activity" in the information email I have received. After logging to my account, I have checked the steps to get my account back up, but they want a copy of my ID to check if this is me? I have two-factor authentification, and I remember setting 2 security questions.

Are they law enforcement? From Police? A bank lending me $3 millions? No. No. And no. As far as I know, I have no obligation to show them my most important ID document. Not to mention digital copy! It's so easy to abuse or steal. I have no need for somebody to steal my identity!

So I have emailed them, and their automated answer makes phishing from 20 years ago seem like a total legit letter written in the best Czech Language! It's really a joke they can't hire somebody to translate their auto-replies at least. Are they so poor?

No, seriously, I have checked one discussion from the beginning of this year, and people have blocked accounts with thousands of Czech coins, and PayPal refuses to help them in any way, sending them generic answers that lead to the same result - Ooops there is a problem on our side, we will fix it soon... since 1 year ago... yes, one year and the same bug is there!

So, my question is - Am I blocked because I'm from the EU? Is the problem it came from Smashwords? Is $0.56 too little to PayPal to call it a payment?

Thank you for your time and sorry for the rant, I'm just really angry.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

Welcome to the PayPal Community.

PayPal have an obligation to know our customers just like any other financial institution therefore it is a requirement to request such information. The information you provide is kept just as secure as the financial information you trust us with or the funds you receive and send. 

-David R

Login to Me Too

Ebachan150
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

yes, I was very angry at that time... while I'm surprised I have got an answer, you didn't answer anything important. None of what I was most interested into. 

What's so weird on $0.56 to block me?

Why are accounts blocked months after providing all the documents?

Why do so many people want to sue you?

I'm sure you can answer those.

Best Regards.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.