Is This a Scam?

Sandyc1
New Community Member

I posted a lot of band equipment on Craig's list.  I received a text rather quickly which asked me to e-mail them.  So I emailed this person the retail value of what I was selling and why I was selling it along with the fact that it was all in excellent condition.  Buyer then responded that he wished to purchase but he could not view the items as he is in the army and currently deployed. (red flag, he doesn't want to see the stuff before buying?)  He said he could only pay through paypal  and that he needed my paypal email addy, my paypal account name and my phone number (he already has it because he texted me first).  He then went on to ask the condition of the equipment and why I was selling, these were things that I just told him via email.  He also said that he was ready to buy so I could remove the ad.  I don't know, it all sounds not quite right to me.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sandyc1 

Ha! I was going "scam." when I got to the bit, "he could not view the items as he is in the army and currently deployed". Some would say they are working on an oil rig. lol Or is abroad for work.

Further red flag is the buyer asking for the name on the PayPal account so they can send you a fake/spoof PayPal email saying they've paid so you can send them the goods with out paying and you're going to be waiting and waiting for payment.

So in conclusion, it is a scam.

Congrats for having your scam radar on high alert and taking the time to ask in the forms. You dodged a bullet, not everyone was as fortunate

Cheers!

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sandyc1 

Ha! I was going "scam." when I got to the bit, "he could not view the items as he is in the army and currently deployed". Some would say they are working on an oil rig. lol Or is abroad for work.

Further red flag is the buyer asking for the name on the PayPal account so they can send you a fake/spoof PayPal email saying they've paid so you can send them the goods with out paying and you're going to be waiting and waiting for payment.

So in conclusion, it is a scam.

Congrats for having your scam radar on high alert and taking the time to ask in the forms. You dodged a bullet, not everyone was as fortunate

Cheers!

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Sandyc1
New Community Member

Thank you so much for your input.  My gut was screaming "just delete this guy's email" because there were just too many red flags.  We're talking thousands of dollars in musical equipment, I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay that kind of money for something and not look at it first.  Thanks again, nice to know that my radar still works.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.