Is Paypal Encouraging Fraud from Chinese merchants?

ksnewuh
New Community Member

I have had two cases in quick succession where I bought something from China and got sent the wrong item. In the first instance, it was some virtual reality glasses (which are totally useless to me) instead of projectors. I raised a dispute and the seller offered to refund me 50%. I accepted and got the case closed. 

A few weeks later, I bought what was meant to be a unique big kitchen rack and got sent a very tiny plastic. I raised a dispute and as the first merchant, this one offered to refund me 50%. I then did a bit of research on the first case and found that even with the 50% refund, the merchant still made a profit, because what I was sent was way below the value of what I paid for. Given that I was seeing a pattern, I refused their offer and insisted that I will post back their item, and get a full refund (even though it meant I will lose money in postage). Both merchants had been keen to inform me that it will cost me more to post back to them. meaning they were aware of the challenge I will face. 

I posted the item using first-class parcel delivery (but not a tracked service, as this would have been more costly). I uploaded this proof of postage to Paypal. This evening I received a message telling me that my claim has now been declined because I did not provide a tracking number. 

What this means is: 

1. The merchant will get back their item, and keep all my money. 

2. I have lost more money on postage. 

3. They will be encouraged to go on and do it to other people, given that they know the difficulties of posting items back to China. 

My issue now is that Paypal sent me this message and simply closed the case. I had no opportunity to even argue about it being unfair. 

I am wondering if others have experienced something similar. If so, what did they do to get their money back? 

Thanks for your help. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

alw1999
New Community Member

I reported paypal to the BBB, they promise buyer protection. But I never seem to get it when I get beat by the chinese

Login to Me Too

Cubb18
Contributor
Contributor
I'm in the midst of the same type of dispute. I ordered a Halloween decoration in early September. Street trying to cancel in early October with the merchant because the merch hadn't shipped yet, I filled a dispute with PayPal. I received an item yesterday which wasn't at all what I ordered, PayPal's response was keep it until next year for Halloween. What I received isn't even a Halloween decoration. I'm very suspicious that PayPal is being complicit at least. I filled a dispute with my credit card company.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.