Iphone scam on depop

sarahw19
Contributor
Contributor

My daughter recently sold her Iphone 8 on Depop. She has complained to Depop and Paypal about what we think is fraud but they have not dealt with the situation and my daughter is now left feeling very upset with the situation because someone has lied about not receiving it. At first the buyer said she received a hat and posted a picture of it and then she said she was in all day but the item was not delivered. 

Paypal initially supported our dispute but then the buyer said the phone was not as described even though she previously said she didn’t receive the phone. Now she has got a refund of £270 and kept the phone. This is a scam that means any seller can lose out because you can’t prove what you sent. My daughter sold her phone in good faith and has proof of postage but they have closed the dispute and she has lost out. 

Has anyone else had this issue and is there anything we can do?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sarahw19 

Proof of postage just means she posted it, did she have trackable proof of delivery to the buyers paypal registered address?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sarahw19
Contributor
Contributor

Yes tracked delivery with Hermes to registered address and insurance paid for phone delivery as high price item. Buyer says she got it but that what she recived was a hat. She then changed her story and said she did receive the phone but it wasn't as described. So paypal asked her to return it and she returned the baseball cap that she said she initially received. So Paypal refunded her.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sarahw19 

Sadly nothing you can do about it via paypal as they do not see what you sent OR what the buyer returned, its basically one persons word against anothers.

HOWEVER if you have the evidence of postage receipts with weight of items on the parcel you sent and all the return packaging of the item I would advise you to file a claim in the small claims court, you can do that easily online. 

But first contact the buyer and state that this is what you are going to do unless she sends the phone back or pays.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sarahw19
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thank you for your help - will look into this.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.