Invalid eBay payment with my Visa Credit Card and seller uses Paypal.

fcclife
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I have a strange issue and I can't seem to find a way to get a resolution with Paypal, especially since it was not a purchase using a paypal account, but using our Visa where the ebay seller uses Paypal as merchant.  I can't seem to do anything with Paypal without it being a transaction through "our" paypal account.  How do I get help with this.  Here are the details:

1. We attempted order on eBay, but it did not go through due to "fraud protection" by our Credit Card.  We had ordered a number of items that day, but we never realized this did NOT go through and the email from eBay stating it didn't got shoved into spam.  So we simply didn't realize it.
  2. We got Visa bill an saw a transaction through paypal that didn't match up to any items in our eBay Purchase History.
  3. We dug further and found at the very bottom of page in the "Returns and Cancelled Orders" section where our attempted purchase had failed.  The order never went through, but apparently we were charged.
  4. I contacted seller to ask if by chance they showed a completed order and did they ship anything to us.  If so send tracking information.  Remember we had ordered a number of the same type of item over several days so we may have not realized something showing up or not showing up.
  5. The seller replied and said no orders were made from us and they had not shipped anything to us.
  6. I contacted eBay, but because it had been just over 30 days they said I had to go through Paypal as they were the merchant.  He did show paypal did charge.
  7. He gave me paypal transaction number, their phone number and said to call Paypal.
  8. I called Paypal and I can't get to a real person and every way I attempt to get help it wants to know my paypal account which we do NOT use to make purchases.  We are just making purchase with Visa.
  9. Now I do have a paypal account, but it has nothing to do with this purchase so if I try to go through the resolution center it tries to assume it was a paypal transaction from my account and can't find any so I can't get help.

So HOW do I get through to paypal on this transaction when it has nothing to do with MY paypal account, but is just a Visa charge from the seller's merchant account which is paypal?

Is my only recourse is to go through Visa and have them reverse it???  I would rather have it properly reversed so it shows up as a credit and we not have to have Visa do it.

Thanks,

Greg

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fcclife 

If you didn't checkout with a PayPal account, then was it through eBay's checkout system? Meaning, you didn't even select PayPal to use PayPal's guest checkout system.

When you buy from eBay, you can checkout through eBay and not select PayPal at all. And you have to option to save the payment method into eBay, not PayPal.

If you selected PayPal to checkout but used the credit/debit card option instead of logging into a PayPal account, then you used PayPal's guest checkout and you would have received a PayPal email receipt with a receipt ID number on it. Find this email and get that ID number and call PayPal with it to dispute the charge, otherwise, you have no choice but go through your Visa card to reverse it.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

fcclife
Contributor
Contributor

When I go to make purchase it takes me to the eBay Checkout and it shows pay with credit/debit card and our saved card.

On the right above the Confirm and Pay it states:

<<By placing your order, you authorize PayPal to process your payment, and you agree to PayPal'>>

So I know Paypal is processing the payment, but I am not using a paypal account.  Just Visa.

Greg

Login to Me Too

FWFasks
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problems. One Visa charge description says "PAYPAL *SUNRISETRA[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]CA" but there is no corresponding  item or dollar amount in my PayPal purchase history. Like you, no corresponding Paypal transaction to complain about.  And I can't identify "SUNRISETRAI" either.

Login to Me Too

rhoda1986
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem currently. Cant seem to get it resolved through paypal, because neither transaction shows up on my paypal history. On my Visa there was any unauthorized charge of $11.32 with the description PAYPAL*CASTLEHOTEL yet I have no idea who that is. Cant see any place to put in a dispute because it's not on my history on paypal. On another, I had purchased a prepaid $50.00 mastercard which shows it was activated when purchased but couldn't register it online to use because the company says it has a ZERO balance because someone made a $50.00 paypal purchase with it at 7pm (yet card was purchased at 230pm and was found to have a zero balance at 4:00pm. Paypal can't seem to help with that either so still currently waiting on the credit card company to reimburse the FRAUDLUENT charges on both. very frustrated

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.