International Sales - Buyer Protection???

0ldgeezer
Contributor
Contributor

I've about had it with the international sales and delivery problems from an Ebay sale. I sold a few items to someone in Sri Lanka Jan 19, 2019 and they still have not received them. They opened a dispute on Ebay Feb 20, 2019. I provided the information (tracking number, updates from the Sri Lankan Customs, etc.) Ebay ruled in my favor. Dispute closed. Same customer waited and opened a dispute with Paypal a few days ago. They escalated the dispute to be resolved by Paypal. I submitted the same information to Paypal that I provided Ebay plus the Missing Mail Item case number that I had opened with the USPS on March 4, 2019. I also called Paypal directly and explained the entire fiasco to them on the phone. I was told by the agent I spoke with that they would probably rule in the buyer's favor since they did not receive the items. How can I be held responsible for items that I shipped within 24 hours and provided tracking information from the USPS. The USPS has acknowledged receipt and shipping it out of their International Facility in Jamaica, NY. I did my part. The customer can't file a postal claim since the items were shipped the cheapest way, per their request. I even made email contact with the Sri Lanka customs office to see if they could provide any tracking or delivery information. So this looks like the Seller gets the short end of the deal again (Always from what I have found in my research). I am not responsible for the Post Office, the Customs Office, etc.  I highly recommend that if you ship internationally then you must ship at least Priority so it gets tracks or you risk getting the short end (the end with the goooo all over it). 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@0ldgeezer 

Of course the buyer is going to want you to ship the cheapest way, doesn't matter to them if it gets lost or is too late turning up as they would win any dispute.

Tracking is for YOUR protection and not the buyers and the only way that paypal can know who is telling the truth is when the seller provides trackable proof of delivery of the item to the buyer.

A buyer can't escalate a dispute to a claim until 7 days post payment and most don't open disputes till at least a couple of weeks post payment, then once escalated paypal give another minimum (more for international sales) of 10 days for the seller to provide trackable proof of delivery.

So that gives you probably about nearly 5 weeks to get an item to the buyer. If you can't manage it by then then you should refund the buyer and then claim off your postal service if you 'chose' to cover yourself in that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@0ldgeezer 

Of course the buyer is going to want you to ship the cheapest way, doesn't matter to them if it gets lost or is too late turning up as they would win any dispute.

Tracking is for YOUR protection and not the buyers and the only way that paypal can know who is telling the truth is when the seller provides trackable proof of delivery of the item to the buyer.

A buyer can't escalate a dispute to a claim until 7 days post payment and most don't open disputes till at least a couple of weeks post payment, then once escalated paypal give another minimum (more for international sales) of 10 days for the seller to provide trackable proof of delivery.

So that gives you probably about nearly 5 weeks to get an item to the buyer. If you can't manage it by then then you should refund the buyer and then claim off your postal service if you 'chose' to cover yourself in that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.