Incompetent? Or Willfully Bad Customer Service?

Sheri0082
Contributor
Contributor

Long story short, 2 months ago someone bought a desk clock and card holder set from me on Ebay. 2 days later requested a return, checked the "item not as described" button for the reason and in the message box simply said "I want my refund" with no explanation or pic as to what was not described correctly in my listing. I sent them a message just to see what was wrong out of curiosity but as I expected they didn't answer. The account was brand new so I figured they Google searched what they bought (which was on Father's day so I wasn't too suspicious cuz it was a very fathers dayish item) and made the account to buy the 1 item.

Went ahead and sent over the return shipping label through Ebay's system as per usual. Never received the item back. They seem to also have never used the label either). Over the course of a month I stayed on top of it with Ebay and they eventually decided to make their decision in my favor and release the funds for the item back to me since the customer had plenty of time to send the item back but didn't. They told me to contact Paypal with this info so Paypal could release funds back to me.

At this point I went back and forth with PayPal...

First they "didn't see a pending or held payment in that amount and the transaction ID was invalid".

Next they said the money was held due to a dispute open from Ebay. (Can you say late to the party? Haven't they been a partnership for YEARS? Why the horrible communication?)

They again tell me to contact Ebay, Ebay tells me to contact them.

Next they tell me my money is on hold because the customer disputed the charge as unauthorized with their credit card company and used their consumer protection that company provides them. Ok... what does their credit card company have to do with me?

Oh, I also called Paypal, their Customer Service rep and I went back and forth with "sorry can't do anything cuz some company you have nothing to do with said so". I wasn't having it so she suddenly put me on hold and came back to say "ok I was able to release your funds to you cuz it looks like since the customer said they wanted to return cuz of description that doesn't line up with the card fraud story" (more or less). I looked and it was there available.

Cool. Except I log out, did some dishes, logged back in and already that money was gone AS WELL AS an additional $20. 

On top of ALL THAT I decided to look into the name of the person involved. Guess what? Ebay has the customer info as a person with the initials MM in Fontana, CA. I looked up that name and the address I shipped it to in Fontana and THAT person, MM does live at that address.

Looked at the info on PayPal's end and they have the SAME address with a persons name being initials KF. I looked up that person and there is a KF in San Bernadito, CA. Looked up the phone number PayPal has and it is also in San Bernadito, CA.

SO... Let me get this straight. PayPal doesn't verify people at least live in the city they are using address for? Do they not verify anything about a person they allow to start accounts with them that involves money and other peoples financial lives? PayPal let a scammer scam them with no attempt to at all verify anything, I wound up being the seller they randomly targeted, and they decide to put all the burden and then some on me?!?! THEY should be the one who's funds are held along with the $20 chargeback from some company I don't even know the name of while said company investigates. Not me. THEY should take responsibility for doing business without verifying SOMETHING. How does Ebay have the right info on a persons and they aren't even the ones dealing WITH PPLS MONEY?! Which in turn messes with lives! 

And yall just let your employees lie to your customers that pay YOU 3% plus of every penny they make to be that middle man who "lets us safely transfer money online", then 10 minutes after lying to us yall take our money without notice then suddenly decide to tack on EVEN MORE money the girl didn't even attempt to mention moments before? 

Is Paypal just horribly unorganized and an incompetent establishment or are they so greedy they show blatant indifference to their own lack of verifying it's account holders and willingly lie and steal from their regular customers? WTH is going on? This is insane. I need answers. Or do I have to go to all the consumer protection pages to file complaints? UGH.  If yall dont want to be responsible for allowing people to misuse your services without any attempt to not have it able to happen via verification and u just wanna provide digital transactions with no liabilities and protections for your ACTUAL customers, maybe you should charge us .05% or 1%. 3% plus .30 is a lot to charge just to let people use your platform to **bleep** us THEN yall **bleep** us even more cuz the scammers card company said so. Ya'll don't deserve 3% if you aren't doing anything for it.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sheri0082 

Too long, edit and just post the salient facts, can't wade through all that when others are waiting.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.