Inaccessible Money

Cathalmee
Contributor
Contributor

So I created a paypal account to receive some money. After seeing the payment in my account, I had to either link my bank account or input my social security number and date of birth to receive the money into my paypal account to be able to use it. I then realized you have to be over 18 to use paypal, which I am not. Is there any way I can access the money that was sent to me or do I have to wait until I turn 18?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cathalmee 

You would not be able to claim the payment so it would go back to the sender if unclaimed for 30 days.

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.
PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will need to be verified to accept funds into your balance or lift any limits.
As you would be unable to verify your account it would be locked for further use.
Minors can’t enter legal contracts so you may not have any recourse to get your money back until you were 18 (IF you could claim it).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Cathalmee
Contributor
Contributor

So when that money is returned, will the transaction show up in my account and will I be able to see the transaction ID?

Login to Me Too

Cathalmee
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

it has been thirty days and the money has not been returned. Is there a way to make it go back? And is this a glitch in the system and it should be returned by now?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cathalmee 

Did you accept it? Only normally only unaccepted payments go back after 30 days, if you accepted it and your account was permanently banned then ....

once 18 Paypal may allow you to do a withdrawal of funds from that account.

OR they may allow you to open a new account and transfer the funds across for you. The latter option is not guaranteed as you have already broken their rules once but you should get one of those options.

Your other option is if the funds were sent using the goods/services option then tell the sender to open a dispute for non receipt of item and as you won't challenge it then the funds should be awarded back to them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Cathalmee
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

I don’t think i have accepted the money. Under my activity it says the payment has been received and in my summary page it says money is waiting for me and has a button to accept the money. I am not able to do anything with it so I don’t think i have accepted it. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.