Im i covered if i pay a scam seller from FB marketplace ?

NitaNita
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
I need your help regarding a transaction i want to complete with an unknown seller that is selling an ipad on the Facebook marketplace , i know im being covered if i pay using the goods and services option, i can see many scammer Apple product sellers around the web though and some of them dont mind being paid via paypal which makes me believe there may be some trick that can work on their favor against a buyer. Im not sure if this seller i want to buy from is a scammer or not since theyre a stranger to me and i've got some questios :

1) If I get scammed , the seller gets the money and shuts down their account, I’m a i still Covered to get the money back ?

2 ) If the seller sends me an empty box for example or something different but with a tracking, how can I prove I never got the real item In the dispute ? The seller would insist that they sent the real item and I’m the one who is lying

3) Since it’s not an ebay transaction how can I prove the payment I’m making is for an iPad? If the seller sends something else they could claim on the dispute that the transaction was for a different item and I am lying. On ebay for example the payment is based on a listing so its clear what it is, its condition etc, now the description is given to me via messenger so how can i prove it didn't match what was promised?

4) Am I still covered if the seller ships the item using a different name / address than their PayPal one ?

5) What else should i be aware of when buying from a stranger on the internet? We've agreed so far that they will post tracked and signed, they also showed me the item on a video call but at first they told me they ddnt have a paypal account and after 10 minutes they said they created one, which seemed way too quick to me.  Its an expensive item so im being a bit hesitant to just pay without knowing if there are any risks to lose my money, any amswers will be very helpful, thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NitaNita 

That depends on MANY factors all listed in Paypals buyer protection policy for you to read so you can risk assess your transactions.
Legal (bottom right of Paypals pages) > user agreement > buyer protection.
Make sure you do NOT pay using the friends / family option.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NitaNita 

That depends on MANY factors all listed in Paypals buyer protection policy for you to read so you can risk assess your transactions.
Legal (bottom right of Paypals pages) > user agreement > buyer protection.
Make sure you do NOT pay using the friends / family option.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GameRundown
New Community Member
If you pay with friends and family is there any way to get your money back?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GameRundown 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DONTTRUSTthem
You are right on all accounts! PayPal only protects the seller! Read the "seller protection". This happened to me & the seller doesn't even have to disappear, for PayPal to deny a dispute. The seller will just lie that they delivered the service or product, or produce a fake receipt. However, disappearing is the common go-to for a scammer & since PayPal can't "find" the seller, they will deny your dispute. They only care about there $$$. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE PAYPAL FOR ANY MONEY TRANSACTION IF YOU VALUE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY! Especially if you don't want to deal with a company that does not value their customers or that has no corporate accountability!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.