If I issue refund does the buyer have to return items?

KieranM26
Contributor
Contributor
I have sold an item and the buyer paid goods and services. The item was damaged and I have agreeed to refund the buyer and for him to return the damaged item. We have not opened a dispute at this point. If I refund the buyer without going through the resolution centre and the buyer doesn’t return the item where do I stand? Do I have any protection?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KieranM26

No, you need to ask the buyer to return the items first.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

KieranM26
Contributor
Contributor
Is there an option to select that when issuing the refund or does the buyer have to return the item first?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @KieranM26,

Thank you for your post. I'm happy to help.

The answer that @kernowlass provided is correct. PayPal cannot compel the return of an item after a refund has been issued, so it is always best to wait for the return of the item before issuing the refund. Even in the case of a buyer dispute, PayPal requires that the buyer supply tracking that shows the item was delivered back to the seller before the refund is given, as the promise of the refund is what motivates the buyer to return the item. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.