INQUIRY ON REFUND

moombat1
Contributor
Contributor

Bought an iPhone 7 on 25/11/17. Item was shipped and failed to be delivered according to USPS. I rescheduled for re delivery which took forever. USPS informed me that re delivery failed and that item was being shipped back to sender. Finally, after almost 120 days item has safely been received by sender(seller) who before receiving it back refused to offer me a refund. I asked for a refund He claims because order is old he cannot initiate a refund but rather he can just send a replacement.  My question is what are my options now that I have evidence that item arrived at sellers, can I raise a PayPal dispute as am still within the 180 days?

Please also note before the this whole issue I had asked eBay to step in and they ruled in favor of seller as tracking couldn’t confirm actual location then.

i would appreciate any help.

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moombat1

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moombat1

I didn't say anything, that is a copy from the link paypal provides that i posted.

And it just says you can't escalate a dispute to a claim until 7 days post payment.

However sellers can refund up to 180 days post payment (dependent on country as some have less time) if its after that they can 'send' you a refund using the friends / family option and if they funded that payment from their bank account and not a card then there is no fees to them.

Advice is voluntary.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moombat1

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

moombat1
Contributor
Contributor

i have noted you have suggested giving the seller enough time before opening a dispute. the seller claims he cant initiate a refund as transaction is from last year, is that true or they just want to offer a replacement. The offer of a replacement was sent through private message as am still debating on opening a PayPal dispute. Could you advise opening a dispute to resolve it through paypal as i have lost faith in the seller?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moombat1

I didn't say anything, that is a copy from the link paypal provides that i posted.

And it just says you can't escalate a dispute to a claim until 7 days post payment.

However sellers can refund up to 180 days post payment (dependent on country as some have less time) if its after that they can 'send' you a refund using the friends / family option and if they funded that payment from their bank account and not a card then there is no fees to them.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.