I was scammed by a person from Indonesia

graceryellow
Contributor
Contributor
I tried to purchase an unused gift card off of facebook marketplace called Buy and Sell Amazon GC worth 115 dollars and the person keeps on telling me that he did not receive the payment even if its already sent with a transaction ID and all. I was able to purchase from this person before in smaller amount having the same email but now its like a trick. I did not get the item and when I called paypal several times they just told me that they can't do anything about it since the transaction is sent via friends/family which I dont have any idea that this causes too much hassle when it comes to making a dispute. The person is no longer responding my chat and emails. I am beyond frustrated and paypal just emmediately closed the case I submitted and I got no help or answer. I don't know what to do at this point. I tried to submit a report under resolution center but I reported it under unauthorized transaction and so pp mentioned that the case isnt unauthorized and they cant do anything to re open it and get it right. Please help! I also reported this issue to BBB and file a complaint, emailed spoof email and ic3.gov but i did not get any response as of yet.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@graceryellow 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction (but that option is for hacked accounts so would be closed as you had authorised the transaction).
You also 'risk' having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal user agreement.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will assist you but unfortunately as it was a 'gift' payment they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.