I was permanently banned from PayPal due to "suspicions of fraudulent behavior or high risk"

Joseluisp94
Contributor
Contributor

Today my PayPal account was banned. I got this notification:

"You can't use PayPal anymore

At PayPal, we value a safe community for our customers to do business. We noticed activity in your account that’s inconsistent with our User Agreement and we no longer offer you PayPal services.

Any bank or card information linked to your PayPal account cannot be removed nor can it be used to create a new account. You can still log in and see your account information but you can’t send or receive payments. Funds in your balance will be held for 180 days, after which we’ll send you an email with instructions about withdrawing your funds."

I called PayPal for further information, and they said it was due to "suspicion of high risk or fraudulent behavior", but they couldn't tell me exactly why was that, but they told me it was PayPal's final decision and I would have to see that with their legal department, but they also told me that they almost never cede.

I received the following letter:

"Thank you for your interest in PayPal, our decision to leave your account in a permanent state of limitation is definitive.

PayPal reserves its right to limit access to any account suspicious of being involved in possible fraudulent behavior or in high risk. In case of controversy, PayPal will try to recover your funds from your PayPal balance and, if there are not enough funds, PayPal reserves its right to charge your debt with PayPal by any other legal means.

Due to the possible risk of countercharges and other cancellation risks of your funds, your balance will be hold during 180 days starting the limitation date. In that moment, the remaining funds will be available for their withdrawal.

It is a pleasure to help you, and please do not doubt

It is a pleasure to help you and please, do not hesitate to contact us again if you have questions or questions."

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

rduque86
Contributor
Contributor
I am banned for exactly the same reasons as you.
Login to Me Too

esurugby13
New Community Member

I was also banned, and not given any reason as to why. I also called and the lady told me she couldn't tell me why. If you are going to ban me, at least give me the reason! I have no idea why I was banned. I have been a customer since 2012, and recently used paypal to sell 2 personal item son Ebay. Not sire how that is illegal or suspicious.

Login to Me Too

arvidasg10
Same here gave them a call and said they didnt know why excacly and they will get me in contact within 10 working days, seriously? The last think i bought was a flashlight and a game on ebay and most items i buy are games... So abit upset and angry.
Login to Me Too

iminszu
Contributor
Contributor
did you ever get your money back after 180 days?
Login to Me Too

simpleguy1

me too... too many china scammers on ebay and they are favoring the sellers.

Login to Me Too

PaganWarrior
New Community Member
They are a bank so they are subject to the same rules. You can complain about them to the federal reserve and government. Legal action is also an option. Make it painful for them.
Login to Me Too

Jubajuha
New Community Member
So sad to read this. As a fan and faithful customer, the same happened to me and I don't know why. This is depressing and the fact absolutely nothing can be done is heartbreaking. It takes away from the faith I have for what is good in this world. I tried everything that is honorable as a human being to get my account back. I honestly feel abused and have doubts as to how honest and caring Paypal's securit team is. If there is reasonable reason I may have disrespected user agreements, I want to know what wrong I did rather than be permanently banned. If I have to pay a fine or any other agreement can be found so I am at least aware what I could have done better or pay attention in future transactions (I use paypal mostly for subscriptions and buying things on ebay), I trust that I am willing to do that. Banning someone like I was is a bit inhumane and discriminating in my books. If I owned a company, I wouldn't treat customers like that and offer benefit from the doubt and offer a chance to promote awareness rather than banning like if a customer is just some sort of statistical algorithm with no soul. Kind regards.
Login to Me Too

Jlmacha
New Community Member

I received the same message and basically never offered explanation, it has been over a year and I have not received the remaining balance, also never received an email from them with any type of information, all I'm told is that activity on my account violates PayPal terms and conditions, well good luck with the return of your balance I hope I hear something soon about mine.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.