I’ve been scammed

Carly101x
Contributor
Contributor
Basically I sold an item called Forza horizon + Lego speed champion which is a Xbox digital code I put it up for sale and a buyer brought it and it was going good till I sent them the code and left them their feedback and all of a sudden I get a email saying the customer didn’t buy the item and wants their money back which I was very annoyed because I sent them the digital code for these games and then few seconds later they pretend they didn’t order the game. I messaged eBay saying how they have scammed me because they received the code and now want their money back and all of a sudden they didn’t buy it. Ebay day to contact you and that it should be fine to get my money still and I have proof of this. Today I checked the code and tried it on my Xbox and it said the code has been used on another account and it’s been used which means they have basically brought the digital code then taken the code and then asked for a refund which I’m very angry about because I’ve basically been scammed because I’ve lost out of money for these games I could of sold to a decent buyer then a scammer and now they want their money back! I am mad because I’ve lost out on this and they have gotten away with this because they have filled a dispute saying they didn’t buy it but Xbox has said the code had been used on another account so I’ve been robbed
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Carly101x
Contributor
Contributor
What should I do as they have filed a dispute on me and PayPal are still reading my case but knowing my luck they will let the person get away with it
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hi, Carly101x. Thanks for taking the time to post your concern here on the PayPal Community Forum. I know how important it is to get the best information in a situation like this (I also sell things on eBay), and here's what I can tell you.

It's likely whoever purchased the codes used someone else's financial information without permission, so the "buyer" was likely not the one who submitted the dispute. There are situations where buyers try to get away with charging back a payment, but PayPal, eBay and card issuers are on the lookout for that.

If the payment gets reversed, that indicates an investigation (by PayPal or by the bank/card account owner's financial institution) found the transaction to be unauthorized. In that situation, PayPal has no choice but to return the money to the rightful owner.

Regrettably, intangible goods like gaming codes are not eligible for coverage under PayPal's Seller Protection Policy (https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/what-is-the-seller-protection-policy-and-what-items-aren...). However, PayPal will absolutely work to win the chargeback in the first place. The best approach is for you to respond to any requests for information you receive from PayPal and watch your email account and PayPal account for updates.

I'm sorry this happened. If you have other questions or concerns, please let us know. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.