I’ve been scammed

Nathanw500
Contributor
Contributor
Through a trade on steam a guy offered me a normal amount for my items but said he would pay some then pay the rest. He then proceed to only sending me £20 (of the decided £180) and so I sent the items and he proceeded to block me. He is now requesting the £20 back and I’m wondering if there is anything I can do to stop him getting this money back at least
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nathanw500 

Digital goods aren't really covered under PayPal Seller protection. Scammers know this. Always read terms of seller protection before attempting transactions. If something is too good to be true, ie someone offering to pay a lot more for something, it probably is. You may still go ahead with it and try your best stating your case but if escalated, be forewarned PayPal uses their sole discretion whether to cover your or not.

11. Seller Protection Programme

11.10 What are examples of items/transactions/cases that are not eligible for PayPal seller protection?

1. For:
    1. Payment Recipients with their registered address outside the UK: digital goods and licences for digital content.
    2. Payment Recipients with their registered address in the UK: intangible items (including digital goods and licences for digital content) and services.
      Where PayPal in its own discretion may make certain intangible items (including digital goods and licences for digital content) and/or services eligible from time to time, unless otherwise agreed in writing with PayPal, the following will always remain ineligible:
      1. Items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards).
      2. Payments made in respect of financial products and investments.
      3. Donations.
  2. Items that you deliver (or are picked up) in person (except for items for which you received payment through the PayPal Location Based Payments Functionality).
  3. Transactions processed otherwise than through the buyer’s PayPal account. For example, if the payment was received as a direct card payment (including through Zong, Website Payment Pro, Virtual Terminal and PayPal Here) or as a PayPal guest checkout transaction, then it is not eligible for coverage.
  4. Claims, Chargebacks and Reversals for Significantly Not as Described and/ or claims filed directly with eBay.
  5. PayPal Business Payments.
  6. Payments made in respect of gold (whether in physical form or in exchange-traded form).
  7. PayPal Mass Payment transactions

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Nathanw500
Contributor
Contributor
I realise that now, is there a way I can stop him from redeeming this £20 back that he’s attempting to claim... might as well get what I can from this whole thing
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.