I've been scammed by seller and PayPal refused refund!!!!

Flukeuk
Hi there, I've been scammed by seller and PayPal took scammer side! I've bought studio equipment on eBay and paid £836 using PayPal. Since I made a payment seller stopped responding to my emails. After a week I've opened a case on eBay, but seller still didn't respond. I've escalated the case. Seller has provided tracking number that states item delivered and signed. I was shocked! How come? First thing I asked my neighbours if they've received anything but they didn't. The parcel has been signed by Mr Smith and no one like that lives around me. I contacted PayPal straight away and explain what's happened. They've opened a dispute. In meantime I've contacted Royal Mail. They confirmed that my parcel has been delivered to different address and they've passed that to be investigated. I've tried to contact seller as well but no response. After two days PayPal closed the case on seller favor. I 've contacted PayPal again they've reopened the case and asked seller to provide proof of postage. I've let them know that I 've contacted Royal Mail and they confirmed that item has been delivered to different address. I've also mentioned about the investigation. When I track the parcel on Royal mail website it only shows where the parcel has been sent from and then the next information is that parcel has been delivered to delivery depo. It doesn't show that parcel has been delivered to my address. Also has been signed by Smith and this is not me. A day later PayPal closed the case again on seller favor. I've contacted them again. They've said seller has provided receipt from post office and postage label and both proofs show tracking number that seller provided, my address and item weigh 6,4 kg. I was shocked! I said this is impossible! I asked PayPal to contacted Royal Mail but they refused and said that seller provided valid tracking information. I've contacted Royal Mail again. They've finished the investigation and gave me an outcome: item has been delivered to different address because it has addressed incorrectly by sender so they are not in the position to give me any compensation. Also they said that sender posted a 20 gm letter not a parcel. In that moment I was sure I has been scammed and my situation is hopeless. I've asked Royal mail to send me an email with the outcome. I've reported the seller to Action Fraud Police. They advised me to contact PayPal to reopen the case. But PayPal customer service was so helpless. They reopened the case but didn't attached my proof from Royal mail and they closed the case again on seller favor. I contacted PayPal again and provided proofs again. They reopened the case and promised that one of the manager will contact me but no one called me. In the meantime I noticed PayPal closed my case again without letting me know! I've call them again, they reopened the case and next day they closed without letting me know. I couldn't believe! I have been scammed and have a proof that seller wasn't honest and they just ignored me. I've written a complaint. In response they said that seller provided valid tracking information and my proof is insufficient. I have asked why proof provided by Royal mail is insufficient? Why the investigation team didn't contact Royal mail to clarify the information? Is it not suspicious that royal mail held different information then what seller has provided? Seller stopped responding since payment has been made, hasn't been involved at all to help sort out the case and provide postage label that is different from the one held by Royal mail. PayPal hasn't been objective and took a scammer side. They put me in the position of financial loss. I don't know what to do. If anyone has experienced a similar problem and found a solution how to get the money back? PayPal cooperate with scammers people should know about it and be aware!!!!!
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Flukeuk

You need to get Royal Mail to send the results of their investigation in a word doc as a pdf. You can't send emails. Either that or have them change the tracking information with a Delivery Exception notice indicating a fraudulent investigation of their findings or something that PayPal can look at via online where they don't have to contact the carrier.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Flukeuk
Thanks I will contact Royal mail and request a letter on letter headed paper.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Flukeuk

Paypal buyer protection is not a 100% coverall.

Your options are.....

If you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Small claims court action against the seller if they are UK based as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Flukeuk
I've tried with my bank but they can't help me. How to take seller to court if all I have is his name, surname and email address? And I am almost sure that's fake details
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.