I've been scammed, Paypal supporting fraudulent seller.... Any advice?

satty_r
Contributor
Contributor

I agreed to purchase a camera from gumtree (UK) and made a goods payment via paypal. I wrote a clear description of the item I was buying in the payment transaction I made. Nothing was delivered to me so I raised a dispute with paypal.

The seller sent the item via Royal Mail to another address (likely his own or a friend) and fraudulently signed my name. He provided a proof of delivery with my "signature" to paypal as proof of delivery. The (pdf) proof of delivery doesn't show where it was delivered, just my fake signature and printed name.

When tracking online (Royal Mail) for obvious reasons they don't show the final delivery address but do clearly highlight which general area the package is delivered and which Royal Mail Delivery Office made delivery (each delivery office covers different areas). The delivery office that made delivery for this item doesn't operate or cover my area. Royal Mail are able to easily confirm/the item wasn't delivered to my address or my local area but the useless dispute team at Paypal weren't prepared to make a simple outbound call to Royal Mail to check this - it would take them a matter of minutes. I also provided examples of deliveries to my address by Royal Mail and which deliver office serves my area. Paypal kept siding with the seller since he provided (fraudulent) proof of purchase.

To make matters worse, during the dispute the seller accused me of being a scammer and trying to get a free "jacket", I made a payment for a camera which I clearly wrote in my payment transaction. Paypal chose to ignore this as well.

I'm frustrated beyond belief at the incompetence of Paypal. Any advice? Not happy losing £750 to scum.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.