I used someone else's card on my PayPal with their permission, but now there is a dispute.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

A "friend" of mine was unable to use their own PayPal for some reason, so they sent me their card info so that I could send the exact amount to another friend so they could just send it right back to me. Now that person 3 months later is filing a dispute with Bank Of America saying they didn't give me permission to do so. What should I do? This said "friend" is not responding, nor do I think they will. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User 

It is prohibited by PayPal to extract funds from cards with your PayPal account in this way, likely to prevent these types of disputes from happening. Let alone use someone else's financial info to do it. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#restricted-activities

"Provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or help others to do so);"

If the bank (who decides the case, not PayPal) finds in favor of the card holder, then PayPal will hold you liable, since you can't provide proof of delivery or shipping to be covered under seller protection program. Who actually filed the chargeback? The person whose card info you got or the person you sent the money to who sent it right back?

Don't know what good it will do but do you have anything (an agreement) in writing giving you permission to use the card to provide to PayPal who will provide the info on your behalf to the bank?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User 

It is prohibited by PayPal to extract funds from cards with your PayPal account in this way, likely to prevent these types of disputes from happening. Let alone use someone else's financial info to do it. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#restricted-activities

"Provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or help others to do so);"

If the bank (who decides the case, not PayPal) finds in favor of the card holder, then PayPal will hold you liable, since you can't provide proof of delivery or shipping to be covered under seller protection program. Who actually filed the chargeback? The person whose card info you got or the person you sent the money to who sent it right back?

Don't know what good it will do but do you have anything (an agreement) in writing giving you permission to use the card to provide to PayPal who will provide the info on your behalf to the bank?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. He texted me permission, and actually sent a picture of the card itself to me. What will happen here? Will I just be responsible for paying the amount back?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.