I think I clicked on a spoofed link and got hacked. What do I do?

avirke
New Community Member

So today I got charged money on Paypal for something that I never bought. I changed my password and security questions, and I tried to find where my account could've got hacked from.

Then I realised I got a message around a month ago from a random number saying 'We have limited your account due to safety concerns'. I was stupid enough to click it without giving a second thought and I think this is how I got hacked. Will I still be able to get a refund and is there anything else I should do?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@avirke 

if you were hacked......

Click on the transaction in your paypal account and use the 'report a problem' link at the bottom to report it as unauthorised if that is what it was.
An unauthorised transaction means that your Paypal account was hacked and used without your consent.

If Paypal check IP addresses / devices etc and find that it was hacked then yes you may receive a refund BUT as you in effect gave away your paypal account information by clicking on a spoof link then that is not guaranteed as paypal may deem it your responsibility and not foot the cost for you.

I hope you changed your password and security questions?
I hope you ran a virus scan on your computer?
I would also be telling my card issuers and bank accounts company that the account was hacked so that they can keep an eye on your account OR remove the financial info involved until things are sorted.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.