I sent someone money to her closed account. Need help to get that money back. Please.

rprosad
Contributor
Contributor

I sent Kaitlyn (Kaitlyn <removed> money by mistake to her deactivated paypal account. She cannot access that account. I wanted to request a refund as the recipient confirmed that she does not have access to that paypal account.

I could not find a way to request a refund. It took me to resolution center. In in the resolution center, I explained the situation very clearly. Case number PP-I-11479347.

My case was closed without refunding money. Also, Kaitlyn cannot file any claim as she cannot access that account.

Please help.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rprosad 

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending (with a clearance date)
2. Pending/Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Pending/Unclaimed withOUT a cancel option.
4. Payment or Sent.
5. Pending/Uncleared with a clearance date.
6. Pending awaiting authorisation.

Which dispute did you open?

How did you fund the paypal payment you made?

How did you send the money ie which paypal option?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rprosad
Contributor
Contributor

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending (with a clearance date)
2. Pending/Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Pending/Unclaimed withOUT a cancel option.
4. Payment or Sent. Money Sent
5. Pending/Uncleared with a clearance date.
6. Pending awaiting authorisation.

Which dispute did you open? 

There was only one option. Unauthorized access.

How did you fund the paypal payment you made?

from Bank Account.

How did you send the money ie which paypal option?

from Bank Account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rprosad 

ok then was this a real 'friend' or 'family member' as you sent a gift payment using the friends/family option?

Only scammers get you to pay that way and then pretend that they can't access the account.

If its showing SENT then it has successfully transferred to a valid paypal account linked to that email address you sent to, so there is no reason why she can't 'access' it and if she couldn't then customer services could help her.

If its a scam then as a friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.
You can't even do a chargeback as you funded it from your bank account and not a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rprosad
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks- I love your answer as much as I love Paypal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rprosad 

I can only give you the facts unfortunately. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.