I refused a package what are my rights

Caspert79
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered an item of a brand that sells only though its own dedicated web shops. The item is made in Russia, and I live in Europe. The website allows worldwide shipping. It doesn't state anywhere, that custom duties apply. In fact, it states that 'taxes are calculated at checkout', so I expected that the amount at checkout is the full amount. Only after checkout I realize that the item is shipped from San Francisco.

About a month later I receive a letter in my mailbox that my item can be picked up after paying 150 € custom duties. I decided to refuse the item, and notify the webshop.

Two months after the item is refused for return, the package is still 'in Transit' according to the tracking information (tracking code is still the same as the one the seller used).  The seller is not very cooperative, and AFAIK I, being a buyer, cannot start an investigation at USPS into the whereabouts of the package. What are my rights? Do I have the right to receive an immediate refund by the seller? I suppose he's the one who should file a claim at USPS.

@REFUND @RETURN @refusal

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Caspert79 

Disputes are allowed through PayPal if the item is not delivered at all, or if the item is received but is significantly not as it was described. If the item was delivered to your address, the seller's tracking would show successful delivery. What happens to the package after that delivery is typically not tracked by a shipping company. In a situation of a significantly not as described item, the buyer is typically instructed to ship the item back with their own tracking.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Caspert79
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your reply. The package was never delivered to my house, but to the nearest post office. I told the post office that I refused the package because of custom duties that were never mentioned. The package was returned to the US under the same original tracking nr. , but according to this tracking code, the package is still ‘in transit’. Does buyer protection apply? I never accepted the package, nor send the package back myself.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.