I received and invoice from Direct Relief for $35 to help those affected by California wildfires.

SF_RodT
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Community,
I received an invoice from Direct Relief for $35 to "help those affected by wildfires". I did not order anything from anyone in the US. I live outside the US. It is marked as pending, and I have no intention of paying it willingly. Is this fraud? A scam? I tried to open a dispute and was not able to. What is this? Am I obligated to pay it? Thank you all for you help. Has anyone else received this invoice? I changed my password immediately.

Login to Me Too
73 REPLIES 73

RTagliento
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal must do something!

Login to Me Too

Tony_M_
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, @doctoroh - My name is Tony and I work at Direct Relief. I just wanted to let you know that the invoice you received didn't come from Direct Relief but from a fraudulent account that has stolen our logo and is impersonating our organization. We would never invoice someone at random, nor would we solicit donations in such a dishonest way. We should also note that we're in close contact with PayPal about this issue. We know their team is taking this very seriously and working hard to resolve it and prevent it from happening again. We're very sorry that Direct Relief's name is being invoked to perpetuate a scam and for any inconvenience it's caused you. In case it's helpful, we've posted some information to our website here: https://support.directrelief.org/hc/en-us/articles/360052863594-Did-you-receive-a-PayPal-invoice-
Login to Me Too

ConnieFu
I got mine for the first time today. I used Firefox private mode browsing (as always when logging in to PayPal for added security) on an iPhone, I could see the cancel button but it took me to the invoice where the only button on that page is to pay. So the cancel button problem is still there on the iPhone Mobile version
Login to Me Too

Ftenorio
Contributor
Contributor
I don't appreciate getting an unsolicited invoice for a charity. I am okay to see link asking for donations but should not be an automated invoice as appears to be a scam.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.