I received and invoice from Direct Relief for $35 to help those affected by California wildfires.

SF_RodT
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Community,
I received an invoice from Direct Relief for $35 to "help those affected by wildfires". I did not order anything from anyone in the US. I live outside the US. It is marked as pending, and I have no intention of paying it willingly. Is this fraud? A scam? I tried to open a dispute and was not able to. What is this? Am I obligated to pay it? Thank you all for you help. Has anyone else received this invoice? I changed my password immediately.

Login to Me Too
73 REPLIES 73

WindyWeather22
Contributor
Contributor

My daughter is having the same problem and is furious with PayPal for not sorting it out properly and getting the request removed and told her that the money won't go out until she presses the 'pay now' button - she can't cancel it on her account

Login to Me Too

mo2insureu
Contributor
Contributor
She’ll have to do it on a computer and click on “Activity”. From there she can click cancel on the invoice.
Login to Me Too

Stockton2000
New Community Member

I was able to cancel the invoice by going to "Activity" and clicking on "Cancel" for the transaction.  Hope that works for her.

Login to Me Too

mo2insureu
Contributor
Contributor
Something I noticed is that this invoice was sent to my regular email which is associated with PayPal, but not my official PayPal email address. Maybe this is why it got through. I just removed mine through settings, leaving only my official PayPal address.
Login to Me Too

gg62
Contributor
Contributor

I did not donate or request this donation

Login to Me Too

jbpater
New Community Member

I am from the Netherlands and got this invoice also. The name is suspicious because it is chopped in pieces: "Su pport Ca lifornia Wildfires Relie f"

shouldn't all alarm bells ring at paypal itself? Even a child can see that this is total scam!

So paypal if you reed this FIX IT!!!!!!!!

Greetings, Jeroen

Login to Me Too

PennyBC
Contributor
Contributor
THIS is exactly why I think it needs addressed NIW! IT can't be legitimate. That is how I see mine too. I took screenshots. Paypal should be concerned but when I clicked resolve an issue it said NOT FOUND, with this very transaction. I wish we could share screenshots.
Login to Me Too

ANTIHERO612

My invoice was for $50.. I've never got one of these msgs before and have too had a hard time canceling this invoice. 

Someone at PayPal needs to fix this NOW.

Login to Me Too

Crashtest444
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal needs to address this. Where did this random charity get my account info in order to ask for money? $35 is a lot of money to ask for. This was an invoice, not a request.
Login to Me Too

TucoBird
Contributor
Contributor

I got this today and I was panicked.  Paypal needs to disallow this type of thing.  And the name of the organization is sketchy, with weird spaces in the name "Su pport Ca lifornia Wildfires Relie f "  Thanks to the people on this thread I went to activity and clicked CANCEL and got confirmation this invoice was cancelled.  This has never happened before.  I don't want to have to do this for every scam artist who sends me an invoice.  If I see $35 leave my account or if this keeps happening goodbye Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.