I pay return shipping for fraudulent sale?

thocar1
New Community Member

My son saved up his money when i told him i would split the cost of a star projector with him. When he had earned enough we ordered what looked like a great deal, but turned out to be too good to be true. The 2 photos below are from the sales website, and the photo below is what arrived with my order. 

<removed>

The item I received did not match the description and is vastly different than the item in the picture. Further the light in the device I did receive does not light up. It was my hope that this was mistaken shipment not a case of false or fraudulent advertizing as the images show on the website (https://www.revomes.com/products/christmas-sale-60-000-stars-original-home-planetarium?variant=31509...) seem to be taken directly from the sales pages for sega homestar flux https://www.segatoys.space/en/public/flux.html. Due to the fact that item sent was not as advertized (and likely this was intentional stealing of photos)I requested a refund. Paypal's resolution was that i would pay return shipping to china which would cost me significantly more than the $34.99 the item cost initially. Why do I pay return shipping for what is (possibly) a seller error but looks likely to be intentional fraud? I've always used paypal in the past to protect myself against fraud, but this company likely knows that return shipping is more than the item is worth and banks on that.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@thocar1 

PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

PayPal resolves SNAD disputes by ruling in your favor and forcing seller to accept a return and refund you. PayPal is third party and was not there when item was sold, shipped, and received.

As per the purchase protection terms, you/buyer are not entitled to return shipping costs as PayPal cannot refund more than what you originally paid. Nor can PayPal force the seller to provide it. The seller has to provide it and follow through on it when the case was not escalated to PayPal. Since PayPal is now involved PayPal have their own way of resolving matters. If the PayPal outcome is not satisfactory, and you paid with credit card, abandon the PayPal dispute as it is and file a dispute through your card issuer instead. Then PayPal dispute will close soon after and you must resolve it through your card issuer exclusively.

This sale listing is indeed too good to be true. You are not going to get a $189.00 mfr suggested retail price item for no $21.99. A real retailer would at least put it on sale of 25% off. Not chop 75% off the price. That's preposterous. Please do a web search on merchant/site name/product/price before you buy to see if something is too pie in the sky. And the link says its a Christmas sale? And I don't know if you notice but the shop appears like it sells hair removal goods. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@thocar1 

PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

PayPal resolves SNAD disputes by ruling in your favor and forcing seller to accept a return and refund you. PayPal is third party and was not there when item was sold, shipped, and received.

As per the purchase protection terms, you/buyer are not entitled to return shipping costs as PayPal cannot refund more than what you originally paid. Nor can PayPal force the seller to provide it. The seller has to provide it and follow through on it when the case was not escalated to PayPal. Since PayPal is now involved PayPal have their own way of resolving matters. If the PayPal outcome is not satisfactory, and you paid with credit card, abandon the PayPal dispute as it is and file a dispute through your card issuer instead. Then PayPal dispute will close soon after and you must resolve it through your card issuer exclusively.

This sale listing is indeed too good to be true. You are not going to get a $189.00 mfr suggested retail price item for no $21.99. A real retailer would at least put it on sale of 25% off. Not chop 75% off the price. That's preposterous. Please do a web search on merchant/site name/product/price before you buy to see if something is too pie in the sky. And the link says its a Christmas sale? And I don't know if you notice but the shop appears like it sells hair removal goods. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

I ordered mason canning jars through what I thought was mason, even said US product, but after the sale with my paypal payment I see a chinese name. I ordered 2 boxes of 12 count jars 16oz and 32 oz, I recieved 4 little jars, packed in a plastic bag, wrapped in styrofoam, I did not recieve the jars in the picture, nor anywhere the quantity I ordered. 12 x 2 equals 24 not 4. I was told I would recieve full refund if I returned the "product" and was given a address in China, it will cost more to ship the jars back then they are worth, yet I want my $84 dollars back, I can not seem to get a contact with paypal even through the dispute, to resolve the issue. What do I do?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.