I'm trapped. Paypal closed dispute in favour of fraudsters

redburgundy
Contributor
Contributor

Briefly, I went to order an item (RAM for my PC) from a website morecomputers.com, and was logged in to my paypal as I leave it logged in on my browser (probably not a good idea), when I got to the checkout I saw the item was out of stock and not returning for the foreseeable future, so I did not proceed with the transaction.

I know see not one, but TWO payments of £59.02 a few minutes apart on my paypal history for morecomputers.

I have had no correspondence whatsoever from this company, not even an email receipt for the items I apparently ordered, and I have sent them 2 emails and they have not responded to either.

Paypal have decided that the company which took multiple payments from my account was 'authorised', and therefore have closed the dispute.

Trouble is, this company now have en email saying the dispute is closed, so they most certainly now will not send my items. Pretty dumb thing for Paypal to do if you ask me, as there is no incentive for morecomputers to even send the items now they know its closed.

So I am out of pocket by £118, and have no item(s) to show for it.

Where do I go from here? Paypal wont let me in to the dispute as its locked, and ofcourse I have to sit here all weekend until their office hours, worrying about my money.

Do I go to my credit card and do a chargeback??

Many thanks

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@redburgundy 

This is what I think happened:

At some stage during checkout, not sure which, maybe after logging in or at the review payment page, it might be too late to stop an authorization/charge and this is deemed authorized because no one broke into your account account to make this transaction or even go that far, right? So hence PayPal denied your case. Unauthorized transaction dispute is for breaches of your PayPal account, not for abandoning checkout.

With situations such as this, you’d have to work it out with the seller or let the order proceed then after 3 days, file an Item Not Received dispute to request a refund.

You can contact customer service to get the case changed to item not received or do a chargeback if you have not heard back from the seller. When contacting the card issuer ask if these are just authorizations that an be voided, instead of doing chargeback. If these are posted charges, then have them do chargeback.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

redburgundy
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant, yep, it looks as though you have nailed it on the head, thank you.

Why couldnt PayPal explain this, instead of a templated email saying 'dispute closed, not in your favour'.

Only thing is, I have tried working it out with the seller but I have had no reply to my emails or requests via their web enquiry form.

So as you say, I'll have to wait 3 days. Today is the 3rd day, so hopefully Monday morning it will allow me to raise an item not received dispute.

I am worried it wont let me though, as currently if I go to dispute anything in regards to that transaction, it doesnt give me the option as it sees it as closed.

And yes the charges are posted as they have come off my bank account. I'll wait until Monday morning and see if I can raise that new dispute and also see if the seller has made any attempt to reply to my emails.

Thanks again for your help!

Login to Me Too

redburgundy
Contributor
Contributor

As I thought...its Monday and when I click on the transaction from 4 days ago, it says there is an open dispute.

I go to resolution centre and it says the dispute is closed.

Useless.

Still no reply from the scammers at morecomputers.com

A crypto smart contract would make this type of fraud impossible.

The sooner Bitcoin becomes a global currency the better.

Login to Me Too

redburgundy
Contributor
Contributor
So...Paypal couldnt help via Live chat, the bot just assumed I was referring to an old closed dispute. I called Paypal and got a human to raise another dispute for me. Meanwhile I made a negative review for Morecomputers on trustpilot and surprise surprise, within 4 minutes they refunded me and asked to remove the trust pilot review. I should have left it there, but I deleted it. Case closed.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.