I'm required to return a defective, counterfeit item. Is this so the counterfeiter can resell it?

thurmanfan
Contributor
Contributor

I received an item that was very, very different from the item in the seller's description. The item also is also DEFECTIVE and COUNTERFEIT.I submitted screenshots and photographic proof but PayPal doesn't care.

PayPal is requiring that I pay to ship the item back to the COUNTERFEITER. The item cost me $69.99. The cost of shipping is $72.  (Yes, I know that I can request a $30 shipping refund from PayPal.)  PayPal told me that the reason I must return the item at my expense is that it would be unfair for me to get a refund and keep the item.  The item is a piece of garbage. If I send it back to the Vietnamese seller, he'll just resell it to another buyer.  My local police precinct suggested I DESTROY THE ITEM rather than return it.  Instead, I plan to ship the item to PayPal's Corporate Headquarters. I realize I won't get a refund and the seller will win. MY QUESTION: Before   I send the item to PayPal , should I a) rip the item to shreds to guarantee it will not be resold or b) line my cat's litterbox with the item and then send it to PayPal? Thank you.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@thurmanfan 

If you want to claim something is counterfeit, you need to submit official documentation from an authorized seller or official brand manufacturer. Photos/screenshots just won't do. PayPal not experts on what is counterfeit or not.

Since it seems like PayPal ruled in your favor by forcing the seller to accept return (their general way of resolving SNAD claims), then you can get reimbursed at least $30 through their return shipping on us program:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Stay clear of lower than usual prices compare to the authentic market retail pricing, that's how you can tell if something is too good to be true or not and being shipped from Timbuktu. 

Lastly, if you paid with a credit card, you may want to consider filing a dispute with your card issuer instead. They may not require you to return it and their terms are much broader than paypal's. Once you open a dispute with your card, the PayPal dispute will close and you'll have to deal with the dispute directly with your card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

thurmanfan
Contributor
Contributor

I sent a SCREENSHOT to PayPal of an e-mail from the seller of the REAL item declaring that the item is indeed COUNREERFEIT!!!!!!!  

As I wrote, I'm well aware that I can apply for a $30 shipping refund. That still means it would cost me $42 to return the piece of garbage.  The seller provided a NY address on their website but it turns out he's in Vietnam.

Thanks for your help. I've decided to go with the litter box option.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.