I'm being scammed and the shipping back to china has an illegible address

Guy_Incognit0
Contributor
Contributor

Purchased a Nintendo 3ds from a company at the top of a google shopping link. They didn't send anything so I started a claim with paypal. They then sent a package and provided a tracking number. Received a small cheap phone grip instead of the 3ds. Now I have to ship it back to complete the claim but the post office says it will cost $65 if I want a tracking number and they can't  understand this shipping address they provided since it has no discernible street, province, or city. Here is the address provided by the seller.

221400xuzhoushi​xinyishiahuzhenguichanyeyuan3-154China

I have until tomorrow to ship it or the claim will be closed and Paypal is not responding to my messages. AAArgh!!! Have these scammers bested me? Any help would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Bigdaddy1227
New Community Member
I just got skiing to for $114 I supposed to receive a bicycle I never did receive a bicycle I called the post office they say there was a package way 2 Oz that wasn't even a envelope in my box I don't know how this company cannot allow this to go on and not refund these people their money I am disabled I need my money back I'm on a fixed income and it is ridiculous is what I'm going through to try to get my money back no one is responding I'm not good with this kind of stuff I need someone to give me a phone call no one has called me yet this is ridiculous time is too hard
Login to Me Too

LongBeachHXC
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having this same problem. I do believe this to be very wrong on both parties. PAYPAL shouldn't let sellers like this on their service. It should be a zero-tolerance policy for this as there isn't any time in anybody's schedule to deal with something like this. And the fact that Paypal even gives these scammers a chance just infuriates me. I understand in some cases the buyer could be taking advantage of the seller but come on...this is blatantly obvious.

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I've been reading stories like yours for at least a month now since I became a member. I had fallen for an exact scam, but not as much money involved. How PayPal continues to let this go on borders on being accessory to the crime.

Long story short, try contacting customer service via chat, get past the chat bot to talk to a human, then explain your situation. I was lucky to finally get a rep to help me.

Don't send the item back to China or Hong Kong, the address the scammer gave me was bogus. The package will never reach the destination and as long as you can't prove the package arrived at the stated destination, the seller doesn't have to do anything, that's how PayPal favors the seller in their policies.

Login to Me Too

LongBeachHXC
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I already sent Paypal a message saying I'm not wasting my time sending this product back only to do exactly as you described. Yeah, Paypal should take responsibility for this and kick these bad actors off the network. Come on Paypal, take care of your consumers because I can tell you, if you do not protect me now, I WILL NEVER USE PAYPAL AGAIN.

Login to Me Too

RGI2001
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guy_Incognito:

I had the exact issue. I ordered 2 Nintendo switches, received after 30+ days the worst iPhone cover you could imagine. Open case with PayPal and 5-6 times in a row they kept sending me back the same message they sent to you with the exact same unreadable address. Obviously a scam by the Chinese vendor and I can not believe Paypal is not helping the buyers. I finally went to my bank and opened a fraud case. 

Login to Me Too

LongBeachHXC
Contributor
Contributor

I am happy to report that this has finally be resolved and in my favor. Dispute the case, then send Paypal a message. It took multiple messages back and forth over days before they finally realized the scam and closed the case in my favor. The final tipping point for me was when I asked them to translate the address for me because I couldn't read it. They agreed and said they would get back to me in 72 hours. About 72 hours later I received notification that my case was closed and they ruled in my favor. Also, the following day was my expiration date to "upload a tracking number" for the item that I was supposed to send back to the shipper in China. In the end, there was no need to ship the item back.

There were times during the messaging back and forth where I was a bit disheartened by the way the conversation was going but I remained respectful and persevered through it and ultimately a good outcome. I am here to tell you there is light at the end of the tunnel and just keep pushing your case.

Login to Me Too

RGI2001
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your note. Apparently not giving up is the name of the game. After 2 months and endless messages PayPal ruled in my favor, with a full refund. No need to send the $1 cheap iPhone case back either.

Login to Me Too

SCAMMED666
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same happen to me  and thought that I was buying from the US, tried to get my money refunded...the item I received was a kids toy ruler. I ordered a sheetrock cutter...Scam written all over it...

The second time I ordered an item and went through PayPal, after two months, they claim they sent me a return address and I would have to pay for shipping. Withing the time frame I requested the email address from PayPal without any success.

PayPal closed the case and denied the returning of the item.

I am trying to Appeal the case but not having much luck.

You can spread the word that Pay Pal is not any safer than if you purchase without going through PayPal.

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Yes, do spread the word about PP's complicity to obvious scams that has been going on for years. There are hundreds if not thousands of posts here detailing the schemes. There are facebook and twitter pages devoted to spreading the word as well (look at PP's wikipedia page and under the section "criticism" there is a comprehensive list of actions against PP).

Don't send things back to return address. This is my beleive and someone can verify, PP will only process refund if seller confirms reutrn item is received and in good condition. So if seller is a scammer, would he/she cooperate and confirm delivery? even if victim decides to send it back?

I understand there is a need to protect legitimate sellers, but if the seller is a genuine business, they would not be too upset if they were required to pay for their mistake and have to pay for return shipping, if indeed they want the item back. Now one can say what's to prevent an unscrupulous buyer from returning stuff just because he/she doesn't want it anymore, well that's when human beings can step in and arbitrate, in many cases it is easy to tell whether 1) buyer received an item from a legitimate seller that fits the description of what was ordered, and 2) buyer received an item completely different from what was ordered, and usually a worthless item like a toy ring, a cheap masks, etc. I'm not trying to tell PP how to conduct their business, but the evidence is that they are so incompetent that they desparately need help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.