I lost a dispute and appeal, in which my buyer destroyed the item

mayabradley
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a shirt on Depop, perfect condition and I have proof, she broke the button off and demanded a refund. She won the dispute she made and the appeal I made. This is outrageous. The buyer claimed I sent her a shirt with more flaws than I had described, but I didn't and now she was refunded, I have a negative PayPal balance, and a ruined shirt. This buyer also posted a picture of her wearing the shirt she bought from me, before demanding a refund, and weeks after it was delivered. How can I get my money back?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Airhaun
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it's a loophole. It appears a Buyer (with very little to no proof) can file a “Significantly not as described” claim rendering it ineligible for PayPal’s seller protection. The Buyer can also contact their financial institution and dispute the charge for the item. Either one of these seems to nearly guarantee a refund to the buyer, regardless of what information the seller is able to provide.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Joy

Hello @mayabradley and @Airhaun,

I'm sorry to hear that a dispute was not found in your favor. When a buyer claims an item is 'Significantly not as described', this does not mean that the seller is ineligible for Seller Protection. As you can imagine, it is extremely difficult for us to reach a decision that satisfies all parties. We review all cases objectively and with the intention of making a fair decision based on the verifiable information that is available at the time. PayPal works hard to protect all customers from the risks of selling and buying online, but there is a limit to what we can do. PayPal asks sellers and buyers to understand that not all risks can be covered by PayPal and they have to make informed decisions as to how online sales and purchases are completed. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Joy
If you have found any post within the Community to be helpful, please leave a Kudos or Accept it as a Solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.