I have been scammed and need advise! HELP

SueCarrington1
New Community Member

I purchased a dress from a seller on depop, they told me to send the money direct through paypal so I could have it for cheaper. They told me they would not sell me it if I sent through 'pay for an item/service' as it deducts money and they have someone else willing to send through friends and family. I panicked and sent it through friends and family as I was in a rush to get it for NYE. I have always purchased items through paying for an item and not once have I ever risked doing it this way as I know you arent eligible for buyer protection. Since then they have deleted the depop account, all the items they have advertised for sale including the dress I bought, since I messaged them. I have got there real contact number which I was messaging them on about the item, they've now blocked my number and several other numbers I've called off. Paypal cannot issue me a re fund because there is no buyer protection but haven't been helpful at all in terms of advise for this sort of thing. Do I go to the police? The depop username and paypal email address were completely different names so I'm not sure if any of them are real. I'm more worried they have done this to other people more than getting my £50 back as they seem pro at this!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SueCarrington1 

Sorry, you invalidated your purchase protection rights by sending payment as friends and family. It is considered a "gift" payment with no obligation to deliver goods and services, hence why its so easy for them to disappear.

When someone gives you the whole line about they having to pay fees and requesting payment for goods and services with f&f, not only is that is a red flag, you are helping them avoid PayPal fees.

If you paid with a credit card, try disputing through them instead. Note that they may also potentially deny your claim.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.