I got taken advantage of by a company, PayPal is not very helpful.

jaugustin
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered toilet paper from a company called "Freedom Paper Company" LLC back in March.  With stores being out of stock everywhere, this company seemed like a life-saver as they claimed to still have toilet paper. After about 2 weeks or so I did not hear from the company so I e-mailed them twice. 

My e-mails went ignored. 

I then found their Instagram page and wrote them there. They actually responded. They told me that due to the COVID-19, the were backed up and would ship it within 14 days or to write them again. After 14 days I wrote them and they did not respond. I wrote them a second time and still no answer. They shut down their comment on Instagram to avoid the many people complaining about them. People began creating pages that called the company out for scamming folks out of their money. 

I filed a claim on the Better Business Bureau (the BBB) for a refund at this point and they still did not respond. According to the BBB, Freedom Paper Company LLC was called and a voicemail was left but they did not respond.

I started a claim with PayPal in April PayPal gave them until May 10th to respond, which I feel is way too long. Can you believe that this company waited until May 9th (probably to be spiteful) before finally responding and adding a tracking number? I checked USPS and there is no record on the USPS website that this item was ever actually shipped. I don't know if they are actually going to ship it or if they just did this as a stall tactic.
Either way, it has been close to 2 months since I first ordered the toilet paper, this means they're just going to ship it now? (If at all). Stores are now fully stocked with tp and I don't want their overpriced paper anymore. I want to get a refund because otherwise the company is rewarded for their shady behavior. 

The estimated case resolution date has just been updated to June for an item that I ordered way back in March. I feel like this is unfair to me as a costumer, they took advantage of many customers during a crisis and this is messed up. PayPal seems to be too lenient with the companies and not on the side of the customers enough. Is there anything I can do?

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

jaugustin
Contributor
Contributor

So the company sent a tracking number (which appears to be fake) the day right before I would have won the dispute by default. 

They told me they'd review it within 10 days and I would get a refund if it wasn't closed by then. Well, it's been past the 10 day mark and still nothing. I'm starting to wonder which company is more shady PayPal or Freedom Paper Company.

Login to Me Too

Montana_girl
Contributor
Contributor

so frustrating.

Login to Me Too

MN_Devous
Contributor
Contributor
Write to the regulatory board that governs Paypal explaining your case diplomatically of course, with supporting files if necessary. The Consumer Protection Agency Board has a online option where you can submit a claim explaining your issues and experience with this fraudulent entity stating you want a inquiry & resolution due to PayPal biased siding with their questionable tactics. You will see swift results. The last thing Paypal wants is exposure to the heat from above, trust me. I’ve been to this rodeo before. Much luck & success...
Login to Me Too

jaugustin
Contributor
Contributor
I didn't know this was an option. Thank you, I was beginning to feel so hopeless, I will try this.
Login to Me Too

Montana_girl
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps add a suggestion they read all the complaints listed;))

Login to Me Too

jaugustin
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I do that?

Login to Me Too

jaugustin
Contributor
Contributor

I FINALLY got the refund everyone!

Not gonna lie, I had to be very persistent. After PayPal ignored a good 2 of my messages, they finally responded. They told me "we're investigating this." It was nearly 2 weeks since the company added the faux tracking number. After being passed to 3 different employees, I was finally told they're closing the case in my favor.

When they gave the satisfaction survey at the end I still gave a low rating because it should not have taken that long and been that difficult to get my own money back. Furthermore, I am wondering if they would have had me waiting even longer if I wasn't so persistent.

With that said, the biggest thing that bothers me is the fact that a company would enter a FAKE TRACKING NUMBER just to **bleep** with me... Are you kidding me? If they were aware of the issue, they could have taken that energy to rectify it instead of trying to delay my refund. How can I company that unethical and immature even function is beyond me.

In any case, good luck everyone! Stay persistent.

Login to Me Too

Montana_girl
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome for you!!  I agree.  Persistence is the key.  I've had over 40 emails with them, and I had told them I received my money back from the credit card so good by.   This morning I received an email offering 70% off!!!!

As more complaints are coming in from this Chinese company, I think their MO is to sell products at a low price, send inferior products, and count on the fact that most people won't deal with it.

They also sent me a tracking number for USPS, that obviously didn't work. I told them the post office was a block from me so it was easy to check.  Then the next email said USPS  had changed tracking numbers and gave me another one, but I needed to go to a link that would have made me download Ask.Com .  Reviews said not to do that.  Anyway, the story goes on, but the ball is in my court now as my money has been returned and I have 2 packages of 8 ea of very small one ply toilet paper that  would have cost me $80!!!!!!!!!!

I hope a lot of people will stand their ground and Paypal will block them as a vendor.

Login to Me Too

FrankPalazzolo
Contributor
Contributor

Congratulations on getting a refund.  

I mentioned earlier I returned the TP to the post office on Saturday and on Wednesday this week the mail delivery man returned it!  Like a bad penny, I cannot get rid of this issue.  I told the mail carrier that I refused it and I returned it to the post office on Saturday.  Is the USPS involved in this too?  So in a not so friendly attitude, he asked me "Where did you return it?"  Some question!  He threw it in the back of his truck and moved on.

I told those customer service people at Freedom that I no longer wanted it.  And they asked me if I still wanted the TP.  I told them No and they still shipped it.

I'm still waiting for PayPal to make a move on this but it sounds like I'm going to have to get more aggressive.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.