I got taken advantage of by a company, PayPal is not very helpful.

jaugustin
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered toilet paper from a company called "Freedom Paper Company" LLC back in March.  With stores being out of stock everywhere, this company seemed like a life-saver as they claimed to still have toilet paper. After about 2 weeks or so I did not hear from the company so I e-mailed them twice. 

My e-mails went ignored. 

I then found their Instagram page and wrote them there. They actually responded. They told me that due to the COVID-19, the were backed up and would ship it within 14 days or to write them again. After 14 days I wrote them and they did not respond. I wrote them a second time and still no answer. They shut down their comment on Instagram to avoid the many people complaining about them. People began creating pages that called the company out for scamming folks out of their money. 

I filed a claim on the Better Business Bureau (the BBB) for a refund at this point and they still did not respond. According to the BBB, Freedom Paper Company LLC was called and a voicemail was left but they did not respond.

I started a claim with PayPal in April PayPal gave them until May 10th to respond, which I feel is way too long. Can you believe that this company waited until May 9th (probably to be spiteful) before finally responding and adding a tracking number? I checked USPS and there is no record on the USPS website that this item was ever actually shipped. I don't know if they are actually going to ship it or if they just did this as a stall tactic.
Either way, it has been close to 2 months since I first ordered the toilet paper, this means they're just going to ship it now? (If at all). Stores are now fully stocked with tp and I don't want their overpriced paper anymore. I want to get a refund because otherwise the company is rewarded for their shady behavior. 

The estimated case resolution date has just been updated to June for an item that I ordered way back in March. I feel like this is unfair to me as a costumer, they took advantage of many customers during a crisis and this is messed up. PayPal seems to be too lenient with the companies and not on the side of the customers enough. Is there anything I can do?

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

Naphtalimara
Contributor
Contributor
I am having the same exact problem with another vendor. I filed for a dispute in April and PayPal gives them till May 11th then the vendor changes status to pre transit to avoud my refund. It has been sitting in that status for several days.
Login to Me Too

jaugustin
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, so this is a common thing then? This seems like a bit of a loophole companies can exploit, that's not good.

Login to Me Too

Bauslady115
Contributor
Contributor
We need to file a case against PayPal. This is ridiculous, I thought we were supposed to be protected against fraud when we use PayPal????
Login to Me Too

Tracyn5711
Contributor
Contributor
Same type situation with a different seller. Pay pal is allowing these fraudulent sellers to thrive in their backyard and won’t protect their consumer! Time to find a new company!
Login to Me Too

jaugustin
Contributor
Contributor

I have to keep it real, I usually am quick to drop a company that treats its customer base like trash, but in this case it's tough. Paypal almost has a monopoly on online payment systems. While I hate to keep supporting them after this there are some places I do business with that only pay through PayPal, sadly.

Login to Me Too

Montana_girl
Contributor
Contributor

I hope Paypal is taking note.

Login to Me Too

Montana_girl
Contributor
Contributor

Same.  It is way overpriced and misrepresented.  Somehow, I ordered 3 (pkgs of 😎 for $80.  the picture showed the large package like Costco has, and they were $25 each, but in small print it says 8 rolls.  i emailed them to say if their packages didn't have at least 30, like Costco, cancel the order.  by then the site was down.  I did receive 2 of the 3, but packages of 8 and the smallest one ply I have ever seen.   They did answer emails, so we did about 20 back and forth.  They said I got what I ordered, blah, blah blah.   Right before I received any product, because I was getting the run around, I put the amount into dispute with my credit card.  They recently noted that the dispute went thru.   

So try to dispute your charge. The product is misrepresented and not what appears you ordered.

I've said this before, but Paypal and Amazon need to shut them down as sellers.  they are counting that customers don't have the time to dispute their orders.

Good luck

Login to Me Too

jaugustin
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, Did you order from the same company? It's sad that they are playing so many games with people's money, not sure how a company so unethical is able to strive. And wow, 20 e-mails is a LOT! I didn't even get one though, not sure which is better. Lol

I wish I did not have to use PayPal, my bank would have refunded me right away.

Login to Me Too

Montana_girl
Contributor
Contributor

yes.  I ordered from a web site with a different name,  when I checked out, the name became this company.

I thought Paypal at one time did not let the charge go thru until the customer received the product.  Maybe that was too hard to keep track.

I have my Chase card tied to the Paypal account and they reversed the charges right away

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.