I got scammed by surffashion mall and Paypal is demanding I return the item to china

RedStar20
Contributor
Contributor

I am a senior citizen on lockdown with a medically compromised family member.  I got scammed by a company in China surffashionmall selling cheap crappy sandals and paypal is demanding that I send the shoes back to China at my own expense in order to get my refund.  I can't go out of the house and it will cost me at least $10 to mail them back - and they may not arrive for months.  The only option paypal is now giving me is this.  They won't negotiate any further.  Help.  They are enabling the scammers. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RedStar20 

Sadly thats the risk you take when you buy from China.

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RedStar20
Contributor
Contributor

This was good advice.  I am pretty  much through with PayPal though, as this policy enables the scammers.  I have referred the matter to the fraud center at my bank.  Paypal is just getting me more enmeshed with time and money lost.  I have also referred this matter to the fraud department at AARP as this site is scamming lots of seniors and paypal is really not helpful.  Your advice is good though.  I will probably NEVER use paypal again, or be enticed by a rogue FB promotion.  Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.