I got scammed and seller blocked me on all social media

anton10sby
Contributor
Contributor

So we had a deal and I sent the money as a gift (220 usd). He then decided to turn down the deal as soon as I sent the payment. He said he unclaimed the gift but I know he is lying as I didn't receive my money back after 30 days. I decided to open a dispute yesterday and he told me he recived the money and that he could only send it back once I closed the dispute, I was stupid to believe him, anyways, he blocked me everywhere and kept the money.

What can I do?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@anton10sby

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

anton10sby
Contributor
Contributor

I paid using my balance as I am under 18. The results I received from the closed dispute was: 

Case Closed: Transaction not covered

'Thank you for reporting this case. After reviewing your case, we found that this transaction was not unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered under PayPal Purchase Protection
There is nothing I can do?? He scammed me and stole 220 usd from me, there is something i can do right...
 222,00 USD
'The money will be refunded to the original payment method'
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@anton10sby

You may well have paid using your balance BUT you must have SENT those funds TO the scammer using the send money > family / friends option.

You are not allowed to have a paypal account under 18.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.